Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

And the Winner is...

... not Journeyman, apparently. I've been told that, so far, it hasn't been picked up again and that with the strike going on its future looks dim. I'm kinda sad about that because though the show wasn't the absolute best on TV I couldn't help but be drawn into the story of Dan Vasser and his family.

One of the things I'd grown to admire about the show - outside of Jack, his well-meaning but clueless older brother - was the way the characters reacted to and dealt with problems. See, Dan's a Reporter; A regular, flawed guy living his life the way most of us do: day to day, just trying to keep it together. The show establishes early on that things were tough for him before he was being thrown through time, forced to figure out what the hell's going on.

For me, as much as the show was a nod to Quantum Leap ('putting things right that once went wrong'), the most compelling parts were Dan and (his wife) Katie's struggle to keep their life and family together. I loved that no matter how these problems played out, these were Adults forced to make Adult decisions with neither side offering a clear delineation between 'Good' and 'Bad'. Dan was often made to go with his gut knowing that his gut had a history of leading him down some very dark roads in the past. That made for some great TV, folks.

It seemed to me that the show worked best when it was about what happens to a guy and his family when he uncontrollably starts travelling through time; when it was about their struggle to be 'normal' knowing that at any minute he could disappear without a trace. How do you raise a kid and have a job and hold an increasingly troubled marriage together like that?

But they played it true, every time. The writers made damn sure that every action had its repercussions - each one stemming from a choice that Dan made somewhere down the line in that or other past episodes. And it was watching him make those choices, choices that he believed were right even when everyone else said otherwise, that kept me tuning in.

Anyways, from what I hear, the axe hasn't fallen just yet but I'll hold out hope that this show will get a second season - there's tons left to be explained and I really want to see where it all ends up.

In other news, I've decided what I'm going write for my spec script! I've had an idea buzzing around in my head for a while now, a story I'd been considering ever since I saw the end of season 3. It's a Battlestar Galactica story set in the time period between Season 2 and 3 when the Cylons storm New Caprica and force Galactica, Pegasus and the rest of the fleet to jump away.

Here's what I have so far:

Battlestar Galactica - "Reign"

Picking up where the climactic Season 2 finale left off, Galactica and the fleet complete their jump away from the invading Cylon force. Now, millions of kilometers from New Caprica and with no communication from the planet, the survivors find themselves facing the harsh probability that they are all that's left of the Human race. With morale at an all-time low and Galactica poorly defended, a well-organized faction of civilians rises up to demand that the fleet continue it's journey to Earth, leaving the others to their fate. As tensions mount and the civilians make a play for control of Galactica itself, a haunted Adama must defend his ship and hold the fleet together long enough to attempt a rescue mission that could mean the death of them all.

So... that's what I've got for now. I've been working on my (first ever) beat sheet and have the whole 1st act planned out so far. Just starting the 2nd now. I'll post it once I get it to a more stable place but for now I'm pretty excited to see how it all plays out!

Cheers,
Brandon

No comments: