Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Strike it up

I've had a lot on my mind these days, been thinking about the strike down in the States and what it means for me as someone trying to get into the business. The more I learn about what it's like to be a professional TV/Film writer - how writers are often treated in the industry - the more I wonder why that is. I mean I've heard horror stories but beyond that, talking to other writers, listening to them talk to one another... it's less 'scary' and treads more into the territory of 'infuriating'. Truly, to be a writer, you must have Gonads (literal or figurative) made of a brass-like substance.

What's getting to me is how I'm reading about the strike, how the Corporations behind it are so cavalier in insisting that we should be gelded and branded for their personal stables. It sounds to me like they're saying "You shut up and make us money, or else".

That just sticks in my craw.

I've come into writing at a later stage of my life - done few things before I figured out what I really wanted to do with my time on this Earth - and I've learned that everyone deserves respect until they prove to you that they don't. The AMPTP, from what I've read - their press releases, their general attitude - has been a consistent slap in the face for no other reason than to keep what's not rightfully theirs. Even worse, it would appear to me that they're intentionally dragging out the strike, trying to make it hurt wherever they can.

But hey, that's just what I see.

I was banging around today on the computer, taking a break from the script (which is coming along, thankfully) when I came up with something that explains what I - and I think alot of people - are feeling right now. Maybe it's not my place to say so but in a real sense they're fighting for my future too so I'm going to chance it.

This is sung to the tune of Amy Winehouse's "Rehab"

SCABS

They try and make us go and be Scabs, we say no, no, no
Can’t cutt’em no slack, can’t wait to come back but No, No, No
They can waste their time, we want less than a dime,
They try and make us go and be Scabs, we say no, no, no

We’d rather work, be getting paid
Eight cents will show the way
Cause it’s stupid,
Stupid that you can’t see it
And you stand there saying “No, I won’t pay!”

We don’t wanna bust your ass
Just give what’s ours and show some class

They try and make us go and be Scabs, we say no, no, no
Can’t cutt’em no slack, can’t wait to come back but No, No, No
They can waste their time, we want less than a dime,
They try and make us go and be Scabs, we say no, no, no

Big Wigs just want to walk again
We say, you just go ahead
You’re gonna, You’re gonna ruin it all
Work with us guys, why not use your brain?
See folks, the Emperor’s not dressed,
No joke, we’re still not impressed

They try and make us go and be Scabs, we say no, no, no
Can’t cutt’em no slack, can’t wait to come back but No, No, No

Guys, let’s try not to fight today
We just ooh we just want fair pay
Gonna keep picketing the street
Until those Producers make our day

Don’t think we haven’t tried
It’s just that we won’t be denied

They try and make us go and be Scabs, we say no, no, no
Can’t cutt’em no slack, can’t wait to come back but No, No, No
They can waste their time, we want less than a dime,
They try and make us go and be Scabs, we say no, no, no

Cheers,
Brandon

No comments: