Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Monday, March 17, 2008

Last week was a wreck (56 days remaining...)

Okay this is just getting ridiculous.

Literally every time I sat down to write last week something came up - and with my home computer currently doing its best impersonation of a paperweight... well... things are not getting done as fast as I'd like. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time right now to tear the thing apart and fix it.

And so, I'm plunking away on my girlfriend's ol' laptop these days - it works in a pinch but the accompanying neck strain is a killer. I find that it is a lot easier to type in the mornings tho' as I can take it with me as I go through the 6am motions.

I'm definitely a morning writer, I'm a morning person in general - much to the chagrin of my friends and loved ones. I'm not sure why but ideas just seem to flow for me, the connections between ideas seeming far more tactile when the world's still lost in dreamland.

So far the feedback from my Battlestar script has been really, really positive and that has me just glowing. I worked very hard on it so I'm allowing myself to feel good that others are enjoying it as well. All the positivity has raised my confidence a notch or so and it's inspired me to get a start on a few other projects that I've been considering.

The first involves me taking my TV show Savage Knights back to basics. I sat down this weekend and started to sketch out what it'd look like and was quite surprised by the results.

In my original screenplay and episodes it always seemed like Ben and Jack were the strongest characters, they had great chemistry with each other and just seemed to click. I made one tiny (okay not so tiny) change to my story - one person dies where they normally lived - and just like that *poof* everything was different. Talk about a Sliders moment - Quinn Mallory would be pleased, I'm sure.

It's weird when you know a story inside and out, when you know characters and events by heart and then you pull that one piece out, snip that one connecting thread and watch how the bones fall.

One death.

Choosing to end one life instead of continuing it literally changed everything about my story and the characters involved. It made it darker yet infinitely more intriguing. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it this way but I'm going to do some exploratory surgery on my pilot script, going to commit this idea to paper and see how it pans out. If it doesn't work, then that's fine but I've got an idea that I may be onto something here. Two people, both trying to do the right thing but from completely different angles, never quite agreeing on what the 'right' thing is. Sounds like there's some potential to be mined there...

I've also created two little 'kicker' ideas, ones that I'm toying with like bored housecat. Ended up going out for coffee with some friends last night and pushed my cute fledgeling ideas out into the world. The reaction was good but I could see that they'll definitely need to be fleshed out some more. Probably the strangest thing, for me anyways, is that neither of them have anything to do with Sci-Fi or Horror.

In fact, they're pretty much the 'anti-me' at this point - one's a Satire and the other is a full-fledged drama with all the trimmings. To be honest, it's both scary and exciting to think that I'm actually going to attempt these. Satire is absolutely out of my comfort zone right now - sometimes I feel like I just don't 'get' comedy, the things I find funny... well, most people don't - but I think the idea is pretty solid and so I'm going to give it a try. Follow my instincts, see where it ends up.

The drama, well, it'll definitely be fun to do I'm just not sure where I want to take it - still figuring out the structure, the confines of the story I want to tell.

In other news I've completed another chunk of my application: my top 10 TV show list of all time. Please keep in mind that I've only been an aware consumer of TV for a few years.

10. Frasier
9. 24
8. Cheers (yes, I watched it in re-runs, but it's still good TV!)
7. The Simpsons
6. Dexter
5. Carnivale
4. Two and a Half Men
3. Doctor Who
2. Battlestar Galactica (Re-imagined)
1. Farscape

The top 3 of the list are pretty solid. Farscape was a show that captured my imagination like nothing has since. Just everything about it is phenominal in my eyes... sometimes when I watch the episodes I try to imagine what the writer's room must've been like. To have been a fly on the wall in that place as these characters and stories were etched into existence...

If you've never seen the show, I highly recommend that you sit down and dig in deep 'cause it's got so much in it - it really is a meal of a show. It's been 5 years since it's passing and I still find myself thinking about John Crichton and Aeryn Sun and the rest of the rag-tag group.

If you get a chance, I really hope you check it out.

Writing Challenge #5 - in Honour of St. Pattie's Day

Format: Any
Length: Any

Topic 1: Research and Write a Limerick about the most drunk you've ever been.
Alternate Topic: Compose a 300-style battle sequence: St. Patrick vs. The Snakes of Ireland. Take it in any direction you want: Prose, Play, Battle Hymn - Go nuts, have fun.

Bonus: use a palindrome.

Cheers (And Happy St. Patty's Day!
Brandon

No comments: