Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Monday, March 10, 2008

Mission Accomplished! (63 days remaining...)

So it was a crazy weekend to say the least - watching the snow pile up was an interesting way to spend the day. Luckily, thanks to the wonderful woman in my life, the weekend was not a waste. I was able to get not only my letter of intent done but I finished the second draft of my Battlestar Script!!!

Okay, so I didn't get it done exactly 'on time', I'd set myself the goal of having my letter of intent done for Friday, but I'd managed to have it done for noon on Saturday. My Battlestar script, well, that's another story. On the bright side, it's all done - on the bad side, had this been for an actual paying client, my ass would be in a sling.

My computer is a wreck. She won't boot and I'm thinking it's the motherboard that's gone the way of the Dodo. I'll have to do some further tests to see if its the SATA port on the board or if something more sinister is at work here. The way it died out on me, it looked like it could've been a virus, but I run a pretty tight ship so it'd have to be something pretty sneaky to get in and do that kind of damage. Anyway, it's not pretty, I've got an old box I might put back together to help with the testing - hopefully I'll get lucky and it'll only be the hard drive. Keep my fingers crossed on that one.

On a happier note, my Battlestar script turned out even better than I'd hoped! I was worried at first, feeling like I was just 'padding' out what I'd had, thinking I'd run out of story to tell. Then came Cameron (you can check out his blog here). Cameron is a great friend and an amazing writer - seriously, I'm in awe of what he pumps out. He properly introduced me to Doctor Who and Little Britain, the first season of House and, well, Great TV.

So, yeah, he read my first draft and thought about it and one day, while I was ranting about my writing pangs over a nice buffet lunch he looks to me and says:

"What about the Pegasus?" (That's not quite what he said, but I don't want to put any spoilers in this post).

And my jaw dropped. And then my mind started racing. I'd accounted for it in my script but I'd forgotten an important point. A simple thing but it opened the door to something much better than I'd originally had. So I went home and erased all the 'stuff' I'd written, starting fresh with my mind on fire.

I'd found the path again, thanks to a little nudge from Cameron. (Thanks, man!)

It's all done now - I had to take a bit of a break in between thanks to life things - but all-in-all, I think it turned out pretty stellar! If you'd like to give it a read, drop me a line ;)

If you'd like to read my letter of intent, well, that's below.

Cheers!
Brandon

My Letter of Intent:

Dear Prime Time Television Program Selection Committee,

Hello! My name is Brandon Laraby and I am writing to you today with wholehearted and passionate enthusiasm to express my desire and intent to join the Canadian Film Center in it’s 2008 Prime Time Television program.

If there has been one constant in my life it has been my rapacious devotion to telling a great tale. At my heart, in my core, I am a storyteller. Though I’ve traveled many different paths in my short time on this planet – from beating the streets as a door-to-door salesman to jumping from an airplane at 13,000 feet – my need to share my dreams and experiences with others has been the one, true connecting thread.

At 27 years of age I have finally figured out what I want to do with my life: I want to tell stories on that wonderful video box in your living room. Yet, in order to do that, I need to learn how to take my passion and make it a profession - and I believe that the Prime Time Television program is exactly what I need.

As you will see, motivation has never been a problem for me - I taught myself everything I know about screenwriting, first learning the format from reading old Buffy The Vampire Slayer scripts then spending years delving into the art of the craft and writing for myself; Getting my hands dirty.

But I have come as far as I can on my own and there are aspects of the businees that I still need to learn: How do I write with a team? How do I make a living off of this? How do I build a story engine that will properly sustain a season or more? I believe the Prime Time program would prove invaluable in teaching me these things while helping to temper and focus what already exists: my passion for sharing a great tale.

Once admitted into the program, my goal is to be an active participant in the whole process – for I crave knowledge of all kinds. I believe that if I can properly envision not just how the scene will look, but how it will be made, I will be a stronger writer in the end. Knowing the story is one thing, knowing how best to communicate it is far better in my mind.

And so I will write beat sheets and one-pagers, I will learn how to properly break a story and how to pitch it right. I will submerge myself into my studies, cocooning myself inside the writer’s room with the intent of emerging, 20 weeks later, fully transformed and ready to use what I’ve learned. Because I have many stories to tell and many more that I’ve yet to dream up, I have ideas and fragments to share with others and a hope that – for even one moment – I can help bring people together in a room to share in a story with me.

Thank you for your time and your consideration,
Brandon Laraby

No comments: