Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Focus is a four-letter word. (33 Days Remaining...)

I've officially lost it. You know, it. That flimsy little piece of rice paper that somehow manages to keep all the ideas in my brain from bouncing off one another.

In my prep work for the CFC Application I've started to dust off some old scripts, start some new ones and polish some current ones.

Needless to say, my mind is in - and I believe this is the technical term - a "fucking shambles".

I've got Werewolves and Soccer moms playing lawn darts on Galactica and Rat zombies struggling with teen dating and overbearing grandparents (It's very after-school-special-y). It's all coming together in the thick and chunky soup that was once my brain. Mmmm Squeeeek.

Ugh... even my tangents are spawning tangents and though it's all very interesting and potentially great raw material, it's taking one hell of an effort clean up this oil spill.

For the last few days I've been sitting down in an effort to try and work on one project at a time - even going so far as to work on one for a couple hours, switch to another and back again in the hopes that I'd siphon some of it off. No dice. I'm thinking I might move to a tape medium for these kinds of days - just click the recorder on and let myself babble for a good 6+ hours or so. Get it all onto something other than my overstimulated neurotransmitters.

I'm not sure why but I always thought it was somewhat pretentious to be walking around with a tape-recorder, spilling your utterances whenever something popped in. But now? Now I'm thinking otherwise, I'm starting to see the arguments for.

Either way, I've definitely decided to start taping my conversations with Cameron - as something magical just seems to happen whenever we start riffing. We have this wonderful ability to just push each other in different directions and come up with things the other hadn't thought of. At the very least, we're each other's sounding boards - a simple expression usually telling us all we need to know about our ideas. Needless to say, our mutual admiration of solid writing - a great line here, a cool scene there - offers quite the backbone for a friendship.
Incidentially, we both still laugh at the line "Real coffee would take this out behind the shed and beat it 'til it turned to tea".

With my Battlestar script nearly officially done - as in Done done, only revamping 2 scenes - I'm now onto Act 2 (of 5, learning to write to Five acts now!) of another pilot. I've been debating on whether or not to submit Savage Knights as part of the application process or if I should write something new - to show where I am now.

All-in-all, since I've got the time, I've decided to do it and see where it takes me. If the finished product ends up being stronger than Savage Knights then that's what I'll push to the forefront. If not then I've still got a finished script that I can polish at my leisure.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go see about installing a spit valve in my brain.

Cheers,
Brandon

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Hey Brandon :) Good luck with getting it all together. I'm applying to the program as well next month, and I'm glancing at all the craziness and cringing.

I'm also in the process of trying to get a writer's group together (most inevitably online) and was wondering if you'd be interested at all?

Best of luck!