Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Single digits... (5 Days remaining...)

The days are winding down, the finish line's in sight. I've been pouring over every aspect of my application - spelling, grammar, you name it. I don't think I've put so much work into any single thing in my whole life. I started printing things out last night, started to see how all the pieces fit and... well, it was really intense.

Filling out forms in triplicate - instead of photocopying - and fussing over fonts is a new thing for me. I usually let little details like that sort themselves out, but there I am trying to decide if I'm going with serif or sans-serif and if italics are simply TOO much. I have a pretty strong design background (a few years of art college doesn't hurt) and I think I've got a pretty good eye, but for the first time I'm finding myself unsure; re-thinking simple decisions that I normally wouldn't give a second thought. Hell, even back in art school I never obsessed over things like I am now.

My biggest challenge of the moment is that I'm trying to decide if I should include some of the Savage Knights character art that I've done. The guidelines don't ask for frills like that, but I was thinking about going that extra mile and printing them on the individual application folders. I mean, I've got to submit 3 copies of the same information so I was thinking that I might, you know, change it up a bit - give it that visual punch.

It's a risk because, really, my writing should stand out for itself - but on the other side of the coin, if I have put extra thought into things, if I have already done the work, why not show it? Am I straying into 'printing-your-resume-on-coloured-paper-and-spraying-it-with-perfume' territory?

I dunno.

I've still got a bit of time to figure things out, it's an agonizing decision for me because now that the writing's done I'm all about trying to SELL the package; trying to make it as visually interesting as possible (I think that's my promotions background kicking in...).

Maybe I just need to relax and put the faith in what I've done.

Realistically, if I do get in it won't be because I put some cool art on the folder covers, it'll be because they liked what I have floating around in my head. But still... the art is pretty cool.

Does it hurt to dress the windows a bit? Or should I stick with the crowd on this one?

Cheers,
Brandon

No comments: