Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Sunday, May 25, 2008

What?! A Sunday update?!

I have to say that I'm really enjoying my weekends these days; having the free time to just write whatever pops into my head.

Of the many little side projects I've been working on, I've also been working on coming up with other ideas - loading the arsenal so to speak. I read somewhere about the concept of an 'idea book', a small place to keep all the crazy stuff that floats around in my head. As much as I like the concept I'm not sure if it's something I'm all that willing to adopt.

All in all I think that ideas are not something meant to be contained. Call me weird but I see them somewhat as living, breathing things - if you get an idea and you don't do anything with it, it has every right to move on to someone who will. Why hoard it for a rainy day?

Right now I've got about 8 really good ones holed up in my skull and I try to do little things with them all from time to time - even if I don't actually get around to 'writing' anything, I think about them, imagine, ask questions, expand and create. Keeping them separate can be a chore, but I see it almost like running a zoo. You feed and water and care for your ideas and in the end they reward you in their own little idea-ish sort of way.

No, I'm not drunk.

Anyways, the point of all this is that I've got a new addition to the family. I was riding the subway home on Saturday morning and I must've been tired 'cause though I know I got off to transfer to the North/South line, somehow I ended up back on the East/West. It was a realization that didn't hit home until I heard the station names being called out. The creepiest thing about it was that I didn't actually REMEMBER getting off the train. I knew I'd left, I knew I'd gone down the stairs and I knew I got onto the North/South train. But I didn't remember doing it. Like a blank spot in my memory, it just wasn't there. That freaked me the fuck out.

So, I got off at the next stop, doubled back and made my way home but the more I thought about it, the more I realized it actually wasn't there. The memory. It just didn't exist. For whatever reason, my brain did not record those actions or that moment in time.

But it kick-started something else.

So, one thing lead to another as my mind started to work it out and then gave up on the process. It apparently decided that since it had no raw material to work with that it'd just run off on its own steam. And, like a newborn screeching in the night, a tiny idea slammed into me, full on. A simple, clear, crazy-assed, fantastic idea for a story. A scary story. But there's no monsters, none of my usual fare. A genuinely creepy tale. And I've been writing ever since.

Anyways, all dark rooms and bright computer screens aside, I hope you're out there enjoying the beautiful day that Firefox insists is happening.

Me? Well, I've got another mouth to feed.

Cheers,
Brandon

No comments: