Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Musical Interlude

“List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now.”

So Mr. McGrath tagged me in an fun little internet meme and it's actually pretty interesting because I'd been pondering writing about this last weekend when I hit the Video Games Live concert out at Dundas Square.

For those not in the know, Video Games Live is a concert where they have a full orchestra come out and play classic Video Game soundtracks - from the bouncy fun of the Super Mario Bros theme song to the extreeeemely badass riffs of "one-winged angel" (the mind-searing final-boss battle tune from Final Fantasy VII).

Now, I know not a lot of people 'get' videogame music - my girlfriend certainly doesn't - she doesn't quite understand why the crowd went wild when (out of nowhere) the orchestra burst into the Castlevania theme or went stone silent when the heart-breaking notes of "Aeris' theme" wafted out amongst the crowd.

I've gotta give the lady credit though, she stuck it out and even had a good time - obviously not as good a time as myself, but she recognized a few songs and characters, most notably that stupid giant mole boss from Super Mario Galaxy (she had quite a time figuring out how to beat him). She kind of ribbed me a bit for being a geek but that's okay I came to terms with my thumb callouses a long time ago.

Personally, I found it pretty awesome (in the awe-inspiring sense) that so many people could come together and share what are normally single person experiences (unlike movies, we often end up playing games alone). I mean, to hear so many others that I've never met singing the same tunes and having the fond memories as me, it's a really cool sense of community. That night I talked to several people at random and we all ended up just laughing and joking around, chatting about our favourite games and levels - offering tips and advice.

All-in-all, it was an amazing night for me and it brought back a lot of fond memories.

And so, in that spirit, I'm going to share with you 7 of my favourite video game songs - hopefully you enjoy them as much as I do:

Chrono Cross - Dream of a Shore Near Another World


Final Fantasy VII - One Winged Angel


Legend Of Zelda - Main Theme


Halo - Main Theme


Mega Man 3 - Title Theme


Super Mario Brothers - Medley


Final Fantasy 6 - Overworld Theme/Terra's Theme


I just want to say that there are so many fantastic songs that I had an insanely hard time cutting down this list, this post has been sitting in my Draft bin since Sunday night as I've been trying to narrow down the songs.

Hopefully you enjoy my little selection - and there's a TON more where this came from. It really saddens me that more people don't get the chance to experience the emotions and the stories that follow some of these games (which in some cases are top notch).

Anyways, enjoy.

Oh yeah, and I tag Cameron, Elize and Mr. Epstein (if he hasn't been tagged already).

Cheers,
Brandon

1 comment:

Elize said...

:) Thanks for the tag! It took me a little while longer than it probably should have, but it was a fun meme :)

And I keep intending to go to that thing but... haven't. Bah :)