Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Monday, June 30, 2008

The Waiting Game

As the month of June draws to a close an uncomfortable silence settles in around me - it's time.

The time when, well, ANY time now, I should be hearing something back from the wonderful people at the CFC.

I'm doing my best not to be THAT guy - you know that guy - the one who calls them up and pesters away, trying to milk out any teensy bit of info. It's not easy, that's for sure - I've picked up and hung up my phone at least 3 times today, overriding that instinctual need to KNOW one way or the other.

And so I keep on keepin' on - I ended up going to work today, deciding against taking the day off and realized that working when everyone's off is probably one of the worst ideas I could've thought up. I came into the office today to see that almost none of the work that was assigned to be completed over the weekend was done. In fact, a good chunk of it was left on my desk with a nice little 'smiley' post-it note.

Thanks guys, I love you too.

Yet no matter where I wander my phone's by my side, ringtone cranked. Nope, not on vibrate today - if someone calls I wanna hear it loud and clear.

On a side note: I was walking through the halls earlier today and I heard my ringtone clear as day, damn near jumped out of my skin. Turns out I'm not the only person working today after all and the Universe knows how to play one hell of a practical joke.

I think I'm starting to develop a twitch.

In other news, I spent a good amount of the weekend cooking with my girlfriend - it was actually a nice little moment in time, to be surrounded by warm laughter and the smell of fresh cilantro. (Incidentally, ground pork and cilantro is my new favourite flavour).

Yeah, as far as distractions come, I couldn't have asked for better. She helped to keep my mind off the CFC stuff and firmly on the task at hand - which was good 'cause the knife was a lot sharper than I remembered. Together we came up with a pretty tasty dinner and a decent pot of chili. I think I'll be having leftovers for most of the week (not really a bad thing).

But time keeps on ticking and there's really not much left for me to do but wait it out - as sucky as that is. I'm trying to keep my mind occupied on other things: writing, drawing, whistling, watching TV - only it's not long before I find my mind slipping back into that familiar rut.

Yeah, waiting's always the hardest part.

I'm gonna go heat up some chili.

Cheers,
Brandon

2 comments:

SeeDoubleYou said...

Actually, you might want to be waiting by the inbox instead of the phone... at least that's how they've done it in the past.

Good luck, Brandon. I'm with you - waiting sucks!

Peter said...

Any word yet?