Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

HOLY SH!T

It felt like a 20 second phone call, tops.

"Hi, this is Ivy from the CFC - We've decided to move your application to the interview phase".

And then I lost my shit. (Not literally, but, you know...)

I'm standing there in the middle of work, fighting with some drive mappings and such, just about to move yet another cool person home, when she called.

I'm standing in the middle of a crowded room and shaking like a leaf.

I got an interview?! Holy shit!!

I called my girlfriend and she lost it, hell, my friends lost it - my co-workers damn-near drowned me in hugs. It's absolutely killed me that I had to wait this long to share the news proper-like. I had to put in another 7 hours at work before I had the kind of free time I needed.

Still, I posted on Twitter and popped on Facebook through my cell while we were enroute to the setup, just to let my friends and such know -- but I knew I really wanted to post it here.

I worked so hard on that thing, I polished it 'till it shone. And I know there was no way I could've made it even this far alone. Please allow me to stop and thank some ultra-cool people who've had a hand in my small taste of victory:

Karen Walton and Beatriz Yuste, Patrick Hanratty and Denis McGrath, Mike Wood, Casey McNally, Jim Steele, Cameron Dixon and of course my loving and supportive girlfriend - so many people who've offered advice and helped me along, who've taken the time and shown interest from the beginning, who've read my work and been brutally honest all in service of the story.

Thank you.

Yes, I know it may be premature - heck, I'm not even IN - but either way, this is a milestone for me. Even if I don't make it past this phase, even if I don't make it into the course, I know one thing for sure: I'm on the right track.

And now the real work begins (aka: this is where things get interesting).

I've gotta deal with my job as it stands - I found out where they're sticking me and it's as dark and as dank as I figured. The good thing is that I know some of the other people that'll be sharing the dungeon with me... so at least I'll have people to sing sea chanties with.

I gotta get serious about saving cash - I've been socking it away but I've barely got enough to cover tuition let alone living expenses...

I've gotta start working on the ideas I submitted, get them into enough detail to explain to someone else where I want to take them.

Most importantly, I've gotta keep writing, make new ideas, polish old ones.

Whew.

Yeah, there's a lot to do and not a lot of time left to do it in... but not tonight. Tonight is bask-time.

But then, back to work.

Cheers all!!
Brandon

2 comments:

DMc said...

Good fuckin man.

You got the most important part of it right.

Back to work!

:)

Peter said...

Congrats!