Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tripping over Act Two

It was going so great, things were flowing, the energy was high and then it hit me full on - a sack of bricks to the chest.

Act Two.

The change in lead characters means a change in perspective and making the story relevant to the new main character means changing a rather massive plot point. Ugh. And it's not that I can't change it - on the contrary, that delete key is right there - but for the first time I'm finding myself fighting, well, myself.

I don't want to.

It's a great scene and an important plot point but now it belongs to a secondary character. So, now I've got a decision to make. I can try and re-write the scene with the main character involved (highly unlikely) or make something equally good for the main character to be doing while this scene is playing out - somehow intertwine them if I can.

I don't think I've had this kind of dilemma before - I know I've got the old file right there, I can revert to it any time, but still, I find myself fighting this scene. I've tried writing around it, working on other parts, but that one scene leads into so much.

You know what? Screw it. It's backed up, just do it. Cut it, make something new and run with it, see where it takes me. I'm not ecstatic about it, but I owe it to myself to explore every possible option. It's all in service to the story - and if the pilot's not good then you don't get to tell the rest of the story... so I guess this is a note to myself to quit bitching and get back to it.

Even if I don't like it.

In other news, this weekend has officially become my 'The Border' watching weekend. I've made sure to have no plans and no one around. I'm going to watch the whole season in one go, take copious amounts of notes and see how well my original story idea holds up.

Yes, that's a lot of bandwidth (I'll be watching them streaming from the CBC's website) and a lot of popcorn... but hey, I've got a comfy chair. On the bright side, those of you who're getting a cut when people like myself watch the eps online, well, you can probably expect a nice fat royalty cheque.

Cheers,
Brandon

No comments: