Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I blinked.

Okay, so... wow.

Yeah, that was a week. Talk about blowing on by.

I've been a weird mix of sequestered and social as of late - trying to finish my first draft of my new Savage Knights breakdown only to get halfway through and come up with a better idea... which means re-breaking and salvaging what I can. Frustrating, but cool - my opening 10 pages are rock solid, that much I know for sure.

The truly frustrating part for this draft is that I've got my opening nailed and I've got a REALLY strong ending planned. I know where it is, how it goes down, who does what. This thing's a bullet-train... except for the 3rd Act. Which is what's gumming up the rails right now. I've got an A story and a B story, both work towards a cool reveal but the reveal relies on letting out only the right bits of information at the right times. Let alone making sure the right people are in the right positions.

For a while there I thought I had the story broken, turns out I've only got Acts 1, 2, 4 and 5. And that one tiny piece of the puzzle is just driving me batty. I think the problem is an overabundance of ideas, there are so many cool things I could have happen here. I've written 4 different 3rd acts now, all good but none of them seeming 'right'. The first took us back to the scene of the crime and had a lot more character/back story stuff but I felt that going backwards - as cool as the scene was - was not what was needed. The second was just too ponderous. The third too... boring. And the most recent one's just jumped the rails entirely.

I think my problem is that my characters, so far, are aimless. Well, not aimless, they have solid goals, they just do not KNOW how to achieve them. They're overwhelmed by the enormity of the situation. A part of that is due to their design (they're not cops, they're not 'trained', they stumble into this and operate mostly on instinct) but another part is me figuring out how they would find out what they need to know.

So, yeah. Somehow I have a feeling that this is one of those problems that might've been easily solved in a writer's room.

On the bright side, it's only a first draft. And knowing that it's allowed to suck, well, that's a bonus.

Though... one thing's got me thinking. And now that I'm writing it out in my blog, I think I've figured out something I've been missing. There's an emotional connection between my two main characters, they both need something. And I think I've just realized that I've had one character's motivation all wrong.

Hrmmm...

Alright, back to it.

Cheers!
Brandon

No comments: