Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hunkering Down

It's cozy right now - even if a good chunk of my free time is being spent looking over my shoulder here at work. The heat's turned up, the four walls are keeping the weather far, far away and - with any luck - my paycheck will clear like clockwork and I'll get to spend far too much on Christmas presents.

I've been debating what to do for a while now with regards to my future and the answers haven't been coming all that easily. Luckily, I've managed to get a bit of insight from someone I respect a great deal and they helped me to see some of my options a tad more clearly.

This last weekend was our 2nd Ink Drinks event here in Toronto and a bunch of us TV and Film writers braved the blustering snowstorm to come out and share in some laughter and beer with Writer/Producer/Blogger Extraordinaire: Mr. Jim Henshaw.

First off, I just want to say that Jim is a real class-act all the way. He came out and chilled with us - had a few beers, a few laughs then jumped right in. He asked us all what our goals were then he listened and offered some real solid feedback about how we should best go about realizing them.

One thing Jim was up front about was that times are indeed tough and no one has a real solid idea of what's around the corner. It's a worrying time for pretty much all in involved, but that doesn't mean we're all SOL.

What he suggested was that now is the time for us to be out there on our own, to be making our own stuff, creating content and getting our names known. There's going to be a real hunger for original stuff for the next couple years as more and more people find themselves out of work. In short: write a script, grab a camera and some friends and get the heck out there.

The other suggestion of Jim's was that we just hunker down for a good 6 months and write our asses off. Come up with some quality, quality work that we can waft under people's noses once things start to normalize. Tho' with the potential of a SAG strike on the horizon and the AMPTP being... well... special... who knows when that will be?

I briefly had the opportunity to pitch Jim a couple of the projects I was working on and one of them got a really good response. He seemed to really like it and gave me a couple of pointers on how to make it stronger. I've taken his suggestions and it's really starting to hum now - definitely a good feeling to know that I'm on the right track.

And so, to that end, I've decided to split the difference. Well, sort of.

I'm writing away on a few projects - going to finish and polish some specs over the holidays and maybe, MAYBE work out a cool idea for a web series. Peter and I've been bandying a few ideas about and I feel like there's something solid there. Something solid that can be done with very little money (which would be nice because, well, yeah - money's tight).

Hopefully in the post-christmas, new-year world we can actually get around to shooting some stuff and getting it on the web.

Fingers are officially crossed on that one.

Anyways, a huge thank-you to Jim for being such a stand-up guy and a big thanks to everyone who came out. I'm taking suggestions on who to try and grab for next month's event so if you have any, feel free to let me know ;)

Cheers all!
Brandon

1 comment:

Trevor B. Cunningham said...

See if you can grab Noel Baker (Hard Core Logo). If he's schedule is open.