Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bunk Buddies! (63 days remaining)

So it looks like the CTF and the New Media Fund are going to be sharing a room soon - being given bunk beds and re-branded as 'The Canadian Media Fund'. This alone has people's hackles raised (the CTF was already under strain as it was) but adding in that in-house productions can apply for funding... well, I can see things getting a tad harrowing for those independant producers who struggled to get funding in the first place. It's bad enough when you're competing against your peers, it's a whole other kettle of fish when you're competing against CTV and friends (with their sure-to-be standing army of unpaid interns filling out CTF application documents).

From what I'm hearing there's going to be a new independant board of individuals who'll decide who gets funding and who doesn't. I've also heard that 5 of the members of the board will be put there by the funders themselves with 2 appointees from the government. Not sure how solid that is yet, but I hope they actually have some directors, producers or writers on there.

As it stands right now, there still seems to be a whole lot of construction going on around this thing and, truthfully, I'm not really sure what the solution here is - hell, I'm not entirely sure what the ramifications of all this will be. One thing I can tell you is that it seems destined to get even messier than it was before.

In other news...

I'm on Act 3 of my spec pilot - no, not THAT spec pilot - the other one. Right now I'm just connecting to that one more I guess, it's prodding my mind in ways that I haven't felt in a good ol' while.

Been reading Lagos Egri's book "Art of Dramatic Writing" and frankly, it's been a bit of a trip. Right off the bat it's been helping me to wrap my head around things like Premise and Character - a lot of it seems very common sense (except for the parts that don't...). So far the one thing that really kind of hit me is that I don't feel for my main character - I like the idea of her, I like the idea of what my story's about, but I haven't made a connection to it all - haven't found that one integral spark that makes it MY vision. Something that'll drive me to want to write 20-30 episodes (let alone tell one really, really kickass tale).

And so I'm working on something else for the moment - percolating on that one (lots and lots of percolating...). Not giving up in the least, just... taking stock... adding onions.

Simmering.

I'll give it a taste later... maybe add some salt.

Or pepper. Everyone seems to love pepper.

Cheers,
Brandon

No comments: