Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Let the Countdown begin... Again! (65 Days remaining...)

Alright, here we go again. CFC application time.

65 days. 2 scripts - 1 spec, 1 pilot - and an already loaded plate.

The difference between this application process and my first is this: I'm getting married - working on getting that show on the road as well. And, well, seeing as we're not ones to wait around, we're shooting for something June-ish... of this year. Yeah, sure, we could put it off, wait a year or two... but no. That's just not how we operate. Once the decision's made, no sense in waiting around. There's a whole list of things we want to do together and 'getting married' is landing on 'Go' (And yes, I'd love to collect my $200, thanks...).

So, yeah, that keeps things interesting. Totally my own bed to make and/or screw up horribly, but hey, that's the kind of stuff that makes life fun, right?

On the bright side, this last year's helped me to focus a lot - helped me to start to understand what kind of writer I am; where I'm going to fit in the grand scheme of things. Of course it's all open to interpretation and tectonic shift and whatnot... but for now, it's still more of a bird's eye view than I've had.

Right now I'm on page 5 of my spec pilot 1st draft - figured I'd try to get that one done first as I'm really sensing that this is going to be the tougher mission of the two. Not sure what I'm going to spec yet - trying to decide on a drama or a comedy. Maybe a Chuck or a House... I dunno. Pulling a decent House spec out of my ass in under a month would be a feat in and of itself -- hrmm might be worth the challenge.

I'm still considering, still mulling on that end of things.

Been trying to think of which shows are on right now that I really connect with... and really, there aren't that many. With Battlestar Galactica coming to a close and House, well, feeling a bit creaky these days - I'm not sure what I'm feeling spec-wise. Elize has highly recommended Burn Notice for my viewing pleasure, I'm going to sit down and try to watch it - see if it's a fit for me. Was also thinking about doing a Friday Night Lights... that's another one I'll have to get caught up on though.

Anyways, 65 days. If I can pull 5 pages a day out of the 3 or 4 hours per day I actually get to write (2 in the morning, 2 at night), I should hopefully be able to get both scripts out in a month and leave me a month to do 2nd drafts, etc. How realistic is 5 pages in 4 hours a day? Well, it's possible... fingers crossed. Just hope it all adds up in the end.

Speaking of adding up, just did my taxes for the year. My refund is hella smaller than I figured it'd be. Definitely a bummer. Anyways, on another note - for my fellow Canadians who're prepping to do their own taxes this year - I'm gonna shill a bit for a free program called Studio Tax. I did my taxes with it last year and this year. It does a great job and is pretty user friendly - all you need to do is fill in the numbered boxes from your T4, etc. into the program and let it do the rest. Heck, it'll even netfile the whole shebang for you afterwards. Worth a checkout at the very least. Figured it might save y'all $40 or so (if you were going to buy one of them quicktax programs, etc.).

Cheers,
Brandon

1 comment:

Trevor Finn said...

Good luck! I'm racing with you...