Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Rollin' the Hard Six (43 Days remaining...)

So, I haven't been talking about writing much these days - mostly because I've been a bit of a basket case about it.

See, I'd been working on a different spec pilot in the run up to my application - I was sure that what I had was what I was going to submit. Only thing is, try as I might, I couldn't get the darn thing to hold together - I couldn't connect with my characters... And so I put it on the back-burner and began working on my backup idea. That seemed to come easier and, well, about 2 months away from the deadline I figured I'd had it wrapped up, the spec pilot was done, I could hop to working on my spec script.

Except a rather glaring issue came to light: It wasn't very good. Now, it didn't suck, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't 'welcome to the CFC' good.

And so, about 4 or 5 days ago, I scrapped it. Took the concept and re-imagined it from the ground up.

Uh, yeah. 43 days 'till the application's due... and I'm doing a page-one rewrite. Needless to say, I've been a bundle of nerves lately - especially due to the fact that I'm clocking in maybe 3 hours a day of actual writing.

Uh oh.

And so I've been hitting the sack before midnight, up before 6am and I've been writing my ass off with the time I do have. As of right now, I'm halfway through my new outline... and it's better. Much better. I'm hoping to start my actual 1st-ish draft Friday morning and with any luck I'll have it done for Wednesday.

Thing is, I'm going home this weekend to celebrate my mom's birthday (it was on the 31st, but I couldn't get away... sorry mom! :S) so it's not like I can put the 8 hours a day I'd like to put in on a weekend... but s'okay, I'll make it work. Mom and I'll have a good time, we'll be out and about... and I'll have a notebook and a pen on hand.

It'll be hard, for sure, but that doesn't mean it's all a wash.

The plan is unfolding like this: it's 3 hours Friday morning, 3 hours on the train there Friday Night, 3 hours on Saturday morning (she'll probably sleep in) and 3 hours on the way back Sunday night. 3 hours on Monday, 3 hours on Tuesday.

IF (and I do mean if) everything goes to plan and I can keep this pace up, I might be able to get this sucker done and done well in time to have a hand-out-able, non-vomit, 1st draft for Wednesday. Or maybe a 1.5 draft. That'd be nice.

Then I can get to work on my spec script.

Which I'm only in the most preliminary stages of breaking.

Heh, what was it they say? Write fast and write well?

Guess I'll find out if I can do that. Time's a tickin' and I'm doin' my best to get'r done.

On a side note, the wedding planning is going well - we're hmming and hawing but it'll probably be the end of July (yes, this July), we've got a date in mind, just a matter of seeing if everything else can be lined up. It all rests on the hall/room. We found one we like, if we can get it on the day we want then we're golden. It's a really, really nice area so definitely keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Whew... no pressure :P

Cheers!
Brandon

No comments: