Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Well... gosh...!

I went to bed last night feeling a bit battered from the day's event... and woke up to a brimming inbox.

Wow.

Thank you, everyone, for all the letters of support and encouragement. You're so full of wisdom and insight, honestly, I do feel a lot better.

I think the hardest thing about it all is not the rejection -- hell, I used to be a door-to-door salesman... and once you've had an old lady pull a shotgun on you for stepping on her lawn... well, there's not much left to fear in life -- it's the sense of 'Uh, yeah... so what the hell do I do now?'

Simply put: What I do now is keep on working my ass off. Keep on writing. Keep on being a voice for writers - newbie or otherwise. Keep putting every bit of my heart into every action and keep fighting to get to do what I love.

That said, I'd like to say that a good friend mentioned to me that I shouldn't take it personally; that the selection process is entirely subjective, that it's no reflection of the writer's ability.

And while I welcome the words of comfort -- believe me, a part of me would love to accept that thought in it's entirety -- I think, in a way, I do have to take it personally.

Not personally in a 'cry-myself-to-sleep-hugging-my-Teddy-Ruxpin' kind of way.

But personally in that I've been challenged to up my game even more. Challenged to find my own weak points and make them stronger... to endeavour to be better.

And to find another door.

You see, like door-to-door sales, writing is all about the numbers. We used to say that for every 100 knocks you get 1 yes. And of those 100 yes's you get 1 sale.

It can be a bleak picture when you try and paint with that brush -- but it also speaks to the fact that, like so many things in life, it's about perseverance.

In writing circles they say that getting a show made is a "Journey of a 100 (or... gulp... thousand) Yes's"; that any one 'No', at any part of the process, sends the tower crumbling down and everyone back to the drawing board.

And yet shows still get made. And door-to-door salesmen still make money.

So, that's what I'm going to do - pick myself up, dust myself off, and move on.

That said, I think it's time I take a page from my childhood friend Scrooge McDuck:

"Work smarter, not harder".

I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to do that just yet... (hell, maybe I'll try working 'smarter AND harder') but it's a mantra worth dedicating a few brain cycles to while I figure out my next moves.

Thank you to every one of you who voiced your support and took the time to write in, I really appreciate it.

Cheers!
Brandon

3 comments:

DMc said...

Kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight, Brando.

Keep the goal in sight and do not waver, for there are indeed many paths.

DMc

Rich Baldwin said...

You and me will both get there, brother - for those who keep walking all roads lead to Rome.

Jennica said...

Hi Brandon (and Rich),

Just wanted to tell you I didn't get into the CFC either, when I applied a number of years ago. And as of last year, I'm a full-time working screenwriter. (Who, God willing, will actually be produced one of these days.) So it's certainly not the be-all and end-all!

Many paths indeed. Thanks, Denis. :)