Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Thursday, October 01, 2009

You climbin' fool, you!

Sooo... I've only just begun to get my writing life back on track.

Most of that is due to Karen and her new assignment for us Inkterns:

We're to come up with 5 goals we want to accomplish over the next 3months, 1 year and 2 years. (you can read them here should you be so inclined)

Needless to say, I had to think about that quite a bit... most days I'm not even sure what I'm doing that morning, let alone months down the line. (Chaos = fun... right?!)

That said, I'm starting to get a handle on where I'm taking things, how I want my career (such as it is) to progress. Much of my plans involve, you know, writing.

But I've been having a hankering for something lately, and it was Karen and Denis who really helped me crystallize what it was: Outreach.

See, Karen and Denis came up with the brilliant idea to ask people (writers, actors, et al) at a TIFF shindig to forgo one round's worth of drink money and donate it in support of KIVA, an organization that allows you to make micro-loans to entrepreneurs in developing and 3rd world countries.

Though it was what she said about the idea when she posted about it on Ink that really grabbed hold of me:

"Almost since its inception, Ink has been adorned with the dual agendas of bringing contemporary talents together for Good, & celebrating 'Creative Citizens' -- writers & their sketchy friends who Give a Damn about the larger world around them -- & don't just talk the talk -- they DO stuff to make the planet a better place to be for all of us."
(full entry here)

So, inspired by those words, I decided I would DO something. Start small, sure, but make a definitive step towards something good.

I've decided to sign up for the United Way CN Tower climb on October 24th.

Also, since I was inspired to do this by Karen and my fellow Inkies, I've decided to name my team in their honour and do the climb representing them as well.

I started training on Monday and what I've learned is that... well... I'm really out of shape when it comes to stair-climbing.

And with the realization that I'll be climbing 1776 of them in under a month... yeah, I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

They say that it takes the average person about 30 minutes to climb the stairs – 342 metres up – to the observation deck I'm hoping to come in under that mark.

But we'll see.

Tonight I'm doing some hardcore ab-and-stair training with my best friend - who's infinitely more in shape than I am - so hopefully that goes well.

If you'd like to send along your support and/or donate to the cause, please visit my donation page any and all support (verbal, written or monetary) would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!
Brandon

No comments: