Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Beat Goes On

We're 3 days into 2 weeks worth of CRTC hearings and already my ears are starting to bleed.

Trying to make sense of it all is, well, a challenge -- especially if you're someone new to the game who's only checking things out in a semi-nationalistic 'what's all this then' situation.

That said, if you want to see 60-year-old men stomp their feet and roll their eyes like spoiled little children... well, you should pull yourself up a seat 'cause this is the new 'Best show on Earth'.

Words fly, tempers flare - it's a borderline kerfuffle...

And then they break for lunch or Nap Time... or whatever.

And then the next guy's up at bat. (By 'guy' I generally mean 'well-paid-legal-team' and/or 'well-heeled-exec board'.)

At least that's been my experience thus far.

Today was an extra special helping of dumbass-ery. That special kind that would've lead to my Grandpa taking me over his knee if I ever talked to him like that.

But since most of them are grandpa's... I'm not really sure how you're supposed to punish them for bad behavior.

Today's display was, well... disturbing.

And there's a whole hell of a lot I could write here -- involving buckets of venom and vitriol.

But today can be summed up in 140 characters:

"Too bad the industry sees investment in Canadian content as punishment" - @gregobr

Le sigh.

The WGC is up this Monday, at the end of the day no less -- a fact which I personally think is a load of crap -- 'cause, let's face it: our commissioners seem genuinely ready to pull a 'coyote ugly' by 4pm.

That said, I want to take some time and thank the WGC for putting together this swanky Decoder Ring for those of us who're watching the events unfold and wondering what the hell is coming our of their mouths.

'Cause after what went on in that room today... well, I'm kind of ashamed to even be giving it airtime.

On another note, there's also a bit of news (yes, news!) coming down the pipe for yours truly. More on that to come shortly, but it's pretty cool.

Anyways, that's it for now. Sleep tight... 'cause something tells me it ain't getting any prettier out there.

Cheers,
Brandon

No comments: