Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Canadiana

My wife and I are heading out to Washington D.C. for a few days.

And, yeah, I'm pretty psyched.

I've always wanted to see the Smithsonian, wander around and get lost in its massive halls, discover some secret passage and find myself miles below the Earth in a mad curator's hidden vault.

Or something...

That said, all kidding aside, it's a bit of a weird feeling for me to be visiting the Capitol of the USA.

I spent so much time thinking I WAS American when I was growing up (I always wanted to go to Rochester to ride the monorail I'd see in the commercials between my Saturday morning cartoons) -- hell, I knew the pledge of allegiance long before I had 'Oh Canada' memorized.

It wasn't until years later that I'd discover that I was, in fact, Canadian -- and it would take me another decade or so to actually figure out what that meant.

Even now I know far more about American History, politics, etc. than I do Canadian -- and I actually consider myself a patriot and fan of Canadian History.

I guess it's just part of the cost of growing up when you're sleeping with the elephant.

TV-wise, I didn't have a whole lot of choice when I was a kid, I watched whatever was on -- and even though I had my fair share of You Can't Do That On Television and The Edison Twins and Littlest Hobo, my strongest childhood memories are for The Thundercats and Fraggle Rock and GI Joe -- and wanting to ride that damned Midtown Plaza Monorail.

Now that I think about it, that's one of the reasons I'm actually getting involved in this fight -- no, not the monorail, I mean the fight for Canadian content and to protect our airwaves.

Tho' I'm loathe to use the 'think of the Children' argument -- 'cause I think it's trite and stupid -- now that I'm married and we're talking about kids... well, I am actually finding myself thinking about 'my' children.

Them and the country I want them to grow up in.

See, not only do I want to be, like, the best dad ever (exclamation point times infinity), I want to provide for them the ability to be intelligent and active citizens of the world... without having to waste their time on stupid identity crises like 'what's the difference between a Canadian and an American?'.

Now, to be clear, I don't want to rant and I'm not saying 'America is bad' or any of that sort. I'm genuinely excited to have the opportunity to check out the Smithsonian -- and yes, I'll be checking out the museum of American History.

But I am saying that Canadian pride is something we learn from our parents and our friends and our media (certainly, more from 'media' as we age).

If we can't be proud of ourselves; Our stories and our accomplishments -- let alone those Canadians who do accomplish -- then how the hell can we expect our kids to care?

In an age where we're being bombarded from all sides by the World, why not work to establish a solid foundation at home, first?

Cheers,
Brandon

2 comments:

Elize Morgan said...

But, Brandon - Fraggle Rock is Canadian.

And if you look at most of the cartoon and tween shows they're...well... Canadian. We do that really, really well.

Brandon Laraby said...

Hrmmm good point - consider me informed...!

I guess I should start watching more kids/tween programming. ;)

Where's a good place to start? Which are generally considered to be the best ones?

Are they received well by Canadian kids? And what channels do kids here have to turn in to see some of these programs?