Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Friday, January 08, 2010

Battlestar Revisited

So, I figured the first of my scripts I'd put up is one that I really slaved over back in the day.

I'm such a fan of Battlestar Galactica that I went head-over-heels trying to get this script right -- well, that and fit in every character I could. I did an insane amount of research and watched a ton of episodes just to prepare.

All because of one little idea.

A glaring hole I noticed, storywise, in between Season 2 and 3.

So I dove in, head first.

Now, I've heard that you shouldn't write specs about shows you love 'cause it's hard to be objective. And, yes, that's true. However, I think if you can get all your fan-love out in the first draft and then manage to separate yourself enough to be objective in the second (not easy), then you can end up with a really solid show.

Something that has a real heart beating behind the structure and technique and, well, craft.

Which is what I like to think I accomplished with 'Reign'. It's not perfect, and it's aged a little bit, but having just given it another read through this morning, I'm still very happy with it.

So, anyways, have at it. The link's up there over on the right-hand side, click away, download/read the PDF. Let me know what you think... especially if you're a BSG fan.

As a side note:

One of the cooler things about this script was that it was the first official spec that I ever wrote... and I covered the joys of writing this puppy right here on my blog, as it became part of my application process to apply to the CFC.

If you're interested, you can read about the genesis of the script here

You can check out my first-ever attempt at a beat-sheet here

You can read one of the first scenes I wrote here

And my lil' victory dance at getting the first draft done here

Yes, I still get rather excitable about finishing my first drafts... I tend to let myself bask a bit 'cause afterward comes the painful realization of what comes next.

But yeah, until then... just bask.

Cheers!
Brandon

No comments: