Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

UPDATED: Oh Canada!




You're going to be hearing a lot of this song over the next little while (if you haven't been already).

I first heard it back on So You Think You Can Dance Canada -- there was an amazing dancer who auditioned to it and all the judges were left speechless by the song (I think the dancer got a pass too).

Well, apparently it struck a chord 'cause it's gonna be getting a huge pump as the Olympics get up and running.

There's a new video out (I just watched it) but it's not up online yet - I'll post it when it is.

The song is written by a really cool East-coast rapper named Classified. I met him a few years back when I was wrangling for the MMVA's and he'd been invited to come hang out and enjoy the award he won. (I think it was Best Rap Video...?)

Truly a down-to-earth guy, he showed up with his wife and -- in a place that was full of jaded musicians -- was genuinely excited to be there. I took him up to the VIP section so he could chill and have some drinks and he marveled then at what could happen in a year.

Apparently he'd shown up the year before and they'd barred him from the stairwell.

Anyways, I've got nothing but good wishes for this guy -- and I'm glad we've finally got us a decent song to lead us into the Olympics.

Something that inspires a little, you know, Pride.

Cheers!
Brandon

EDIT: Video's still not out yet, but here's a home-made video by some kids who were extras in the video shoot. Apparently it's coming out on MuchMusic soon -- actually, check that, I've heard through the grapevine you're going to see it on Muchmusic.com as soon as this this afternoon.

So yeah, keep an eye out for it. But until then: Here's some behind the scenes footage.



1 comment:

deborah Nathan said...

Love it. It's the kind of thing Jimi Hendrix got banned for doing in the 60s. And now his version of "Star Spangled Banner" is priceless.

Very cool.