Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

There's another way to look at it

The Hollywood Reporter has a neat article that shows how Avatar isn't even in the top 25 when it comes to actual tickets purchased.

Personally, I think this is a far better way to evaluate a movie -- especially with 3D ticket prices hovering around the $15-18 mark.

The full article (top 20) can be found here.

Here's the Top 10 from the list (with my comments) below:

1 "Gone With the Wind" (1939) 202,044,600
2 "Star Wars" (1977) 178,119,600
3 "The Sound of Music" (1965) 142,415,400
4 "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" (1982) 141,854,300
5 "The Ten Commandments" (1956) 131,000,000
6 "Titanic" (1997) 128,345,900
7 "Jaws" (1975) 128,078,800
8 "Doctor Zhivago" (1965) 124,135,500
9 "The Exorcist" (1973) 110,568,700
10 "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" (1937) 109,000,000

Now, some of these I can completely understand.

Gone With The Wind is just one of those movies that'll never get de-throned (if you put those figures into current day context). I figure it was pretty much the first 'event' film... and certainly hearing Clark Gable uttering the word 'damn' (scandalous!... well, back then) probably added to the draw.

Star Wars... well, it spawned an entire culture and ultimately gave us Emo Vader and Jar Jar Binks. Truly the Universe is a thing of balance.

The Sound of Music is one of those films that I enjoyed when I saw it but didn't really remember much outside of the 'do re mi' song. Though at 142.5 million-ish ticket sales, it would appear that people of the 60's were far more into musicals than I could've possibly imagined.

E.T - this movie introduced me to Reese's Pieces. Alas, I only ever saw it on VHS.

The Ten Commandments is one of those 'classic' movies I've just never liked. As far as I'm concerned this movie's on the list 'cause it's got a hard Christian angle and Charlton Heston. Which... yeah, apparently did the trick for a whole heck of a lot of people.

Titanic. Oh man. This girl I was dating at the time, she saw it 15 freaking times. A fact I'd only discovered as I took her out to viewing #16. Seemed like a simple idea, but man... To this day, I've never been in a movie where I've heard so many teenage girls openly weeping. My date at the time? Apparently leading the pack. Single-handedly one of the most surreal experiences of my teenage years.

Jaws is one of those movies (like Psycho) that I wish I could've seen in the actual time period it was released. It still holds up as one of my faves, but man, how wicked would it be to see this film without being a jaded lil' movie-going so-and-so??

Doctor Zhivago is apparently one of the great Romance movies. I've still yet to see this... Ladies, gents? How does it hold up?

The Exorcist. I first saw this movie on a dark and stormy Halloween night. NOT the way to do it. Especially when you're only 18 and think you're all tough and stuff. Nightmares, oh the nightmares. I wonder if those ticket sales count all the people who walked out and/or asked for their money back? 'Cause apparently this flick scared the bejeezus out of a whole generation.

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs. Aka, my first Disney Movie -- I can completely understand why this flick is in the top 10. This flick must've been absolutely mesmerizing for people of the time... I can only imagine how much higher this number would be if they counted all the lil' rascals who snuck their way in.

Overall, a great lil' list... are there any on there that surprise you?

Cheers!
Brandon

No comments: