Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Ugh... Sick

The last couple days have been a hazy blur of 'ew' and 'gross'.

My body's finally remembered how to rebel.

And not in that whole cool James Dean 'Rebel Without A Cause' sort of thing.

No folks. We're talking white-cell-vs-viral-payload-bloody-freaking-warfare.

Incidentally, the brief moments of lucidity have been rather... engrossing.

My dreams (day or otherwise) haven't been this vivid in years.

I've also had a bit of a revelation:

I have a need to write something where the first question out of my head isn't 'but is this a show'?

I hadn't realized it but I've been throwing ideas on the pyre like cordwood - things that seemed great in my head but weren't 'TV' so I'd scavenge them for parts and toss the rest to the blaze.

Most are for little short stories... which I like. I never seem to be able to drag a story out to fill a novel... I tend to like to get to the point.

But some are for comic ideas -- which I can't entirely take credit for as I've just fallen madly in love with Joe Hill's 'Locke and Key'. Over the last couple days I've devoured the two trades and I crave more.

So yeah, there's that.

My TV pilot is great and the second draft is coming along fine but I've been feeling this need to write something fantastical -- maybe sci-fi, maybe fantasy, maybe horror... maybe all of the above. Not sure. But I can feel it banging away on the side of my cerebellum.

'Let me out'.

Because, as my most recent dreams will attest, there is just some whacked out shit going on in my head that -- no matter how hard I try to spin it -- just screams 'not for TV'.

And no matter how much I try, it will not be burned.

So... yeah, I think I might take it up as a side project -- something that I can shift gears into from time to time. Probably something short. Probably.

I'm not entirely sure just yet -- it's still sort of fuzzy... like your teeth after a hard night of drinking.

Whatever it is, it's gonna be wild.

Cheers,
Brandon

No comments: