Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

This Is My 'Structure' Hammer

Tonight's Workshop Class #3 and, according to the brochure, I'm gonna be learning about building my story all proper-like.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Part 3 of 5 – Building Your Story

Wednesday, March 17th

How to build on a great story or scene.

How to give texture to the story.

This may be the difference between whether you will elicit emotion and engagement in your audience or not.

Creating atmosphere, tone and rhythm.

Discover:
- Scene writing and developing story structure
- Writing sub-text, crisis and climax
- How to create a page turner
- Suspense and other dramatic tools

So far I'm rather enjoying these classes -- I like how, essentially, they're 2-and-a-half-hour discussions. Mr. Chubb doesn't try and motor through things, or fight to keep everything on a rigid schedule -- he runs a very relaxed and approachable room.

He starts a topic and will talk about it, digressing to or expanding upon topics as necessary (usually when asked questions by us).

The only sort of downside to this approach is that sometimes we don't get to some of the things that I was actually looking forward to getting to.

To his credit, last session he made an effort to cover things that didn't get covered last time... but, of course, that ends up eating into the time we have for this session.

It can be a bit frustrating... but hey, every style has it's weakness.

Anyways, I'm all for learning more about structure and sub-text... adding more layers to my writing and writing wicked climaxes.

So, yeah, consider me stoked for tonight.

Class starts in about an hour... more to come after the fact.

Cheers!
Brandon

No comments: