Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Monday, March 08, 2010

The Workshop (Part One)

So, yes, I realize I completely neglected to give a post-first-night-update on the status of my 'Writer's Fundamentals' workshop.

It was not on purpose, just sort of forgotten about in the light of other, bigger things.

And yes, I know, using the word 'forgotten' when talking about a workshop doesn't exactly sell it all that well... but that's how things played out.

Not that the first night was BAD -- Mr. Chubb is an excellent speaker and he's got some fantastic insights into the business.

It just... well...

I didn't realize just how 'Fundamental' the Fundamentals were going to be.

Which, on the bright side, sort of helped me realize how far I've come in the last few years.

Most of that can be attributed to my ongoing -- daily -- writing seminar with Ink Canada; a place where I'm constantly learning something new about or gaining insight into the business and the craft.

Truth be told, the first session was... an intro.

There were lots of nervous questions about how we copyright our ideas and what to do if people steal them -- and Mr. Chubb was very patient in explaining the process while being careful to specify that it really doesn't happen that often.

He went on to explain that they're not buying your idea -- ideas are a dime a dozen -- it's YOUR execution of the idea that they're after; Whatever it is that you're bringing to the table that'll make your movie stand out from the other 136 epic-war-and-love-triangle movies that are kicking around.

And that's sort of how the night progressed.

Going into the program I had a bit of an idea that it'd be focusing mostly on Film but once I got there I think I was the only TV person in the room.

Needless to say, there wasn't much talk of TV unless I specifically brought it up in my questions.

I think that's going to end up being a continuing trend over the next 4 weeks.

Oh well.

Near the end of the session we watched the first act of Ginger Snaps (again, one of my favourite flicks) and discussed all the things that made that first act great; How they manage to introduce the characters, the world, the threat, the relationships AND make the leads sympathetic in just under 15 minutes.

That whole bit was a great deal of fun but it ended up feeling rushed because we were mostly out of time -- like we were just sort of hitting our stride as the clock wore down its final seconds.

Kind of a shame.

That said, Mr. Chubb did make the time fly by and he did offer some fresh perspective on concepts I was already familiar with.

Overall, I wasn't displeased with my first session I just sort of wished there was more to it.

But then again, that's why it's called a 'Foundations' course.

This Wednesday we're supposed to be tackling 'Compelling Characters' and that's something I'm definitely looking forward to.

We'll see how that goes.

Tomorrow I'll see about writing up my notes from that session, if I can make any sense of them :P

Cheers!
Brandon

No comments: