Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Friday, July 16, 2010

The Steady March

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is just keep on keepin' on.

One foot in front of the other.

It's something I've always struggled with, finding that happy medium between my expectations of where I should be in life and where I actually am.

To balance that sense of frustration and stagnation with the need to be always pushing forward.

When I go back and look at where I was when I started this blog and where I am now -- and realize that, physically, they're not that far apart -- it can be a tad upsetting... but then I look at my old scripts, look at where I am now, craft-wise and as a writer, and I realize how much I've grown.

Slowly but steadily I've been learning that old lesson that we all get there in our own time. You can't really rush it... so just keep on keepin' on.

Keep your patience high and your passion strong.

In other news, I've been doing a lot of script review lately for people, trying to offer fair and constructive criticism that helps them move their story forward. It's a good feeling when I can spot something that's not quite working and have actual ideas on how to fix it... little moments like that that show me how much I've learned.

Script-wise, I've been trying to figure out what my next spec is going to be -- hopefully it's something fun. Not sure exactly what it is just yet, but I'm actively searching for something new and interesting.

Suggestions?

Cheers!
Brandon

6 comments:

Gmajor said...

I don't have any suggestions, but I did want to stop by and say "Thanks for posting this," because I feel the same way. I'm reaching a point where I'm getting frustrated, "Okay, enough of the specs already, can I get paid for something now?" and finding it discouraging, getting rejection after rejection. At the same time I feel like I've caught hold of a speeding train by the mail hook and I'm hanging on for dear life, trying to get on the train, afraid at any moment I'll fall off and be left behind with no other train expected any time soon.

John McFetridge said...

Write some prose. Write a short story or even a flash fiction and give it to a website. If you can find one that pays, great, but if not it's still good to get your writing out there.

I really only know about the places for noir and crime fiction like Thuglit and Twist of Noir, but there are a lot for othe genres and more literary fiction, too.

Or you could write an original spec and also write it as a short story. You could even sell (or give away) a few copies through a place like Smashwords or make it available for the Kindle.

Brandon Laraby said...

Hey, thank you both for taking the time to write in!

Gmajor: Yeah man, it's a frustrating thing... moreso considering that even the pros who've 'made it' are still finding themselves in our situation. It looks like this is sort of an occupational hazard -- one that's faced with a certain amount of regularity in our current climate.
There've been times where I've thought about hanging it up, and even been encouraged by a few non-writer friends... but this is what I love to do, and sometimes we get hurt by the things we love. A lot. And often.

Man, I need to schedule some time with a therapist...

John: This is good stuff! I've been playing around with an idea, trying to figure out how to bring it to life. Smashwords looks like a pretty badass solution so I'm checking that out as we speak (er, type). Thank you so much for sharing it with me!

Rich Baldwin said...

We should write a Dr. Who episode together! Once I get into town, do you want to confer about it?

Also: I'm glad to hear you'll be 'experimenting'. When I started focusing on making sure this was fun, I started focusing on doing innovative things, heedless of the chance of failure. I think my writing has gotten much better because of it.

Rich Baldwin said...

Oh, also: There's a great book called _Free Play: Improvisation in Life and Art_, by Stephen Nachmanovitch. Well worth reading, both practical and inspirational.

Brandon Laraby said...

Hey Rich!

Yeah, we should totally do a Doctor Who episode!

I think we could have a lot of fun with it.

Let me know once you get into town.