Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

404, Daily: Chapter Eight

So I spent most of last night writing from my old desktop computer, which, until I figure out my own personal laptop problems, is where I'll be. In a weird way it was sort of like coming home -- I've been using the laptop so much that I completely forgot how much other stuff I have on my desktop.

Since I'm still feeling my frustrations with MS Word I went out and downloaded Open Office.org to give that a try instead. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it -- having only used it for one night, but it's... different.

Sort of like going to GIMP after learning Photoshop... it's not 'bad' or 'worse' or 'less'... just different.

I think the hardest thing about working from my old desktop is all the cool games and stuff I have on there; trying not to let myself get distracted by a game of World Of Goo or something.

That's okay though, I managed to power through and I have to say that Chapter 7 turned out to be pretty epic in the end. You're sort of catching the aftermath here, with the starting of Chapter 8... but hey, you can find out on Sunday what all went down.

Anyways, without further ado, here we go.
________________
*Please Note: What follows below is only the FIRST page of Chapter 8 and is considered to be 'Raw Footage' -- unedited, first-draft material that may be subject to change (even in its entirety). This is designed to keep you in the loop with my story as well as, hopefully, intrigue you enough to want to buy the full, finished episode at the end of the week. Warning: there will be mild spoilers and coarse language as well, so please keep that in mind as you read on.

Episode #2 (which collects the finished and polished versions of chapters 6-10) will be available on Sunday, August 22nd for 99 cents CAD.

You are encouraged to offer feedback and/or interact with me as this process unfolds. I'd love to hear what you like, what you don't like and what you'd love to see more of.
________________
CHAPTER EIGHT

Jess wipes her eyes and pats Marco on the shoulder as the last of the emotion leaves her, as her face takes on that familiar composed edge and she begins to walk again

“Thanks, kid.”

Marco nods, unable to translate the words he feels; remembering the coarseness of her dirty-blonde hair and the faint scent of the ocean as he held her close. Maybe she's a surfer...?

“Where are we?”

He looks around him as they make their way up the incline, seeing the twisty-turned section of road ahead and the burnt and rusted husks of dozens of cars; some looking like they hadn't bothered to ease their way down the zig-zag of the street, instead tried to push straight on down the hill proper. Overturned wrecks and the skeletal fingers peeking out from beneath tell the conclusion of that tale.

"Not far, but we're going to have to double-time it if we want to get there before daybreak. They say there's a chop shop down on the pier where they break stuff down, load the best of it onto a ship to sell across the pond."

She turns onto another street and begins their descent toward the waterfront, passing a bullet-riddled sign that reads 'L--v-nw-rth'.

"What's the point? I thought paper money's useless these days?"

"Not if it's in Euros."

"Shit…"

Marco stops, shaking his head, looking out over the moonlit landscape below.

"Sometimes I forget that the rest of the world's movin' on just fine without us."

Jess laughs.

"As far as you know."

"Yeah, I guess."

With great care they make their way down to the waterfront, stopping several times to duck into small buildings and alleys at the slightest hint of danger. Marco checks his phone and lets out a low whistle, showing it to Jess as they hunker behind the charred remains of a mom-and-pop restaurant: 4:33 am.

She nods and peeks around the corner, across the water, to the massive ship moored at the dock as several large men guide a small school bus up a ramp and on-board.

No comments: