Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Friday, August 27, 2010

404, Daily: Chapter Fifteen

Hey all!

I'm going to be at FanExpo tonight and this Saturday, helping out some friends at the SPACE booth. If you get a chance, come on by and say hi -- I'll be wearing my Thundercats tee tonight and, maybe -- if I can find it for sale -- a 'Walking Dead' T-shirt on Saturday.

I'm not sure what my chances are just yet, but I'm totally in mission-mode to get my hands on that T-shirt. I'm hopeful that since it's been picked up by AMC (and airing on October 31st!!) that I'll be able to get my hands on a good one.

In other, non-writing related news, my 1st wedding anniversary's on Sunday. Holy crap! It's been a year already. It seems like only yesterday that I proposed.

Man... time is officially flying by now.

For Chapter 15 things have really started to heat up -- I got to introduce a new character to Marco and Jess' little tag-team and though I'm still trying to figure out the best way to fully integrate her down the line, I'm really enjoying how this is working so far.

Here's the Daily for Chapter 15!
________________

*Please Note: What follows below is only the FIRST page of Chapter 15 and is considered to be 'Raw Footage' -- unedited, first-draft material that may be subject to change (even in its entirety). This is designed to keep you in the loop with my story as well as, hopefully, intrigue you enough to want to buy the full, finished episode at the end of the week. Warning: there will be mild spoilers and coarse language as well, so please keep that in mind as you read on.

Episode #3 (which collects the finished and polished versions of chapters 11-15) will be available on Sunday, August 29th for 99 cents CAD.

You are encouraged to offer feedback and/or interact with me as this process unfolds. I'd love to hear what you like, what you don't like and what you'd love to see more of.
________________

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Jess slams the car door shut as a door behind her opens -- the young woman, Freya, jumps in the plush back seat "Give me back my 'book!" She dives for the thin, black netbook sitting beside Jess but she turns and puts a gun in Freya's face.

"In or out, make up your mind. If it's 'in' then shut the fuck up."

Marco reaches out a hand, picking up the thin black clamshell, running his fingers across the top, across a myriad of stickers for bands he’s never heard of. Bands with names like ‘Pondskum’ and ‘Savage Beating’. A dreamy look in his eyes as begins to open the --

"Marco! How do I start this fucking thing?" Marco snaps to attention, looking at the high-tech dashboard as cerulean lights dance in front of them. "I don't see an ignition; I don't see any keys…?"

"Here!" He leans across and pushes a gleaming silver button - the car roars to life as the guards accost the sides, guns pointed at the tinted windows.

"Get the fuck away from the car or I'll kill him. You hear me?" The guards begin to fire at the windows, point blank -- they spiderweb but hold. Jess snaps the car into reverse and punches the gas, spinning out and away from the bodyguards as they all continue to fire.

Bullets pelt the back of the car as they speed away over the broken roadway, bouncing this way and that as the shocks do their best to compensate for the assault.

The car rounds the corner, turning away from the Golden Gate Bridge and speeds off down a street that a faded sign calls Long Avenue. For a long time they continue on this road, in silence until she turns onto a cluttered section of the highway.

"You're a fucking net addict!? Jeezus Christ, Marco, you almost got us killed." She slams her fist into the steering wheel. Marco turns away, trying to find the words "I've been getting help, I'm on a program."

"Well, apparently it's not fucking working, is it?"

After another long moment Jess rolls down the window and holds out her hand. "Give me that fucking thing!" Marco shrinks away from her as Freya grabs for her netbook once more, shouting in some strange language.

Jess slams on the breaks and the car skids to a stop in the middle of the almost-empty highway "Enough!" She turns around in her seat, facing Freya.

"Who the fuck are you?"

Marco opens the netbook to see some version of a password protect screen, written in a language he doesn't understand.

No comments: