Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Thursday, August 19, 2010

404, Daily: Chapter Nine

Hey all!

Since I've been getting up so early in the morning I figured I'd try doing a little bit of exercise first, to try and wake myself up, you know? It's a little bit too early (and a bit of a pain in the ass) to break out the Wii Fit so I decided to try out this thing I'd discovered last year when I was on my last 'exercise' kick (three guesses how that turned out).

Anyways, there's this site called hundredpushups.com where they give you a whole training regimen for free on how to train yourself up to being able to do 100 push-ups in a row.

Of course, when I first looked at it I was all like 'yeah, pfft! Whatever, easy' and then my body promptly responded with 'uh, yeah, you've been neglecting me for the last 6-ish months' and then collapsed.

So, yeah, I'm trying to work this in before I get started in the morning -- it's only like 5 minutes or so off the top and I definitely feel more awake afterwards (even though my arms want to beat the ever-lovin' shit out of me)... so hey, maybe that'll be neat little side-effect of getting my ass up so early.

In other news, Chapter 9 is almost done, I'm just going over the final bits now, trying to decide how best to end this sucker as I prepare for the awesomeness that will be chapter 10.

But hey, you'll soon see for yourself, right??

Cheers!
Brandon
________________

*Please Note: What follows below is only the FIRST page of Chapter 9 and is considered to be 'Raw Footage' -- unedited, first-draft material that may be subject to change (even in its entirety). This is designed to keep you in the loop with my story as well as, hopefully, intrigue you enough to want to buy the full, finished episode at the end of the week. Warning: there will be mild spoilers and coarse language as well, so please keep that in mind as you read on.

Episode #2 (which collects the finished and polished versions of chapters 6-10) will be available on Sunday, August 22nd for 99 cents CAD.

You are encouraged to offer feedback and/or interact with me as this process unfolds. I'd love to hear what you like, what you don't like and what you'd love to see more of.
________________

CHAPTER NINE

Marco shakes his head at the remnants of the once-proud old-Ghirardelli building, now covered in spray-paint and bullet-holes and scorched brick. The flag posts out front flying flags with Chinese characters as a crowd of Asian and mixed-race teens lounge on and around some stylish motorcycles, making out, smoking pot and shooting at windows.

“Isn't it past your bedtime?”

Jess approaches, fists clenched; the teens snap to attention, all guns pointed at her, though still stoned out of their heads. Marco puts his hands in the air, walking up close behind her, doing his best to look non-threatening.

“One of you fuckers better get in there and tell whoever the fuck's running this show now that a friend of Johnny Wu's is here and she's pissed off.”

The kids raise their eyebrows and talk amongst themselves, unsure.

“I'm sorry, did I fucking stutter?”

She says, from what Marco can guess, it again – this time in Mandarin. A tall mixed-kid race kid with a styled mop of auburn hair steps forward, gun still leveled at her.

“Johnny Wu is dead.”

“I know that, dip-shit. Why do you think I'm here? Your buddies over in the LRDC stole my fucking news van after I paid you to keep it safe.”

At the mention of 'LRDC' everyone turns their attention to Jess, her face flushed with anger.

“But since you lazy fucks don't seem to care about that; since you left me and my friend on our own to die in enemy-fucking-territory, you better get your scrawny ass upstairs and your boss down here because I am one seriously fucking disgruntled customer and I'm this close to taking you little fucks apart, myself.”

Jess steps forward, somehow seeming to get larger and more intimidating with each step. The others shrink away from her, one half-dressed Vietnamese girl – looking like she's starting to have quite a bad trip – buries her head in her arms and cries.

No comments: