Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Monday's the Day

That's when I launch the very first 'experiment' of my experimental phase all proper-like -- but since I spent most of last night pitching my idea to the wonderful folks I met at the local Ink Drinks I figured I should stop dancing around and show some cards.

It's an idea I've had for a while, one that I originally wanted to make as a TV series but those I talked to -- combined with my own dawning understanding of the industry -- showed me that it would probably never see the light of day.

So, I figured, since I'm all about experimenting now: Let's try something different.

I'm going to be writing that TV show, just as I imagined it... but not.

Instead, I'm going to write it as a novel, in real time, but release it like a TV show -- sort of Dickensian publishing, but with a twist.

You see, thanks to the wonderful help of my friend -- and editor -- Cameron Dixon, I've decided to undertake the challenge of writing one chapter a day, every day for about the next 2 months.

At the end of each week, on Sunday evening, I'll release a 5 chapter pack that you can download for 99 cents.

And yes, that's all well and good, but what's the twist?

Simply put:

EVERY DAY I'll be posting what I call 'Dailies'. They're the 1st page of each new chapter, raw, unedited by myself, untouched by my editor - a peek into where the story's going as well as something to compare to the finished product at the end of the week.

Now, what's released in that daily may end up being wildly different when compared to what comes out at the end of the week, but hey, I think it'll be a fun little window.

Since I'll be writing this in real time, you're all encouraged to come on in and discuss what you like, what you don't like -- maybe even influence the story. I've mapped out the major beats of where I'm heading -- I know how it ends -- but how exactly I get there is a wide open space.

I find this whole concept to be something incredibly exciting -- and since I have the first 5 chapters written I know they're awesome and I can guarantee you you'll be getting your 99 cents worth at the very least.

If you purchase the chapter pack and you love it, there'll be no DRM on it, so feel free to share it while that copy is fresh. If they like it, please come back and support my experiment by buying a copy for a friend... or buy the rest.

If you purchase the pack and it's not your thing, you're only out a buck and still supporting an emerging writer as he tries something new and scary.

On Monday I'll post the first chapter for free and you'll be able to download the first chapter pack at the same time. After that we're off and in the running.

Come back tomorrow for the official pitch and Monday for the big launch!

Cheers!
Brandon

1 comment:

deborah Nathan said...

Terrific idea Brandon. Looking forward to it.