Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Friday, August 13, 2010

The Pitch


Hey folks, well, here we are - the weekend before the big launch.

I've been going over things with a fine-toothed comb, trying to make sure this thing sparkles as much as possible.

But, yeah, you're probably going to want to know what you're getting yourself into for your 99 cents, right?

Here's what I got -- hope you like it:

It's been two years since the Christmas Eve cyber attack that crippled the nation. Two years since the American government threw the Switch, disabling the internet for the entire country and disconnecting the United States from the rest of the world. Overnight, hundreds of millions were thrust into a neo-Dark Age as the populace awoke to find themselves penniless, with nowhere to turn, and almost no way to communicate.

My story follows Marco Temura, a recovering web-addict and newbie journalist for MSFoxNET - the monolithic news organization that has emerged from the chaos - as he slowly unravels the truth behind the Switch, the perpetrators of the attack and the fate of the country.

The title of my book is '404'.

As I've said, the first chapter -- and the first chapter pack (aka 'Episode') -- will go live on Monday. With each new 'Episode' going live on each and every Sunday night to follow.

Each Episode includes 5 chapters of the story and will be priced at 99 cents with no DRM, available in .epub or .pdf format. If there's a large enough interest I can try releasing it in other formats - if you have a special format request, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Also: please be sure to check back every day for a new, hot off the presses 'Daily' -- the first raw, unedited page of a newly written chapter.

*Note: these Dailies may end up differing wildly from the finished product, will have grammatical, spelling and possibly even logical errors... that said, they'll still give you an idea of where I'm heading as well as a window into the writing process itself.

Cheers folks!
Brandon

4 comments:

psa said...

this looks very cool. i'll do what i can to help spread the word. cheers!

psa said...

oh and psa is me, lindsay, from judecast

Mac said...

I love that you're taking this entrepreneurial approach to reaching the audience directly; using new tools to self-publish and self-distribute. A subscription idea sounds good. Though I'm not sure about the merits of publishing first draft versions and how that impacts the perception of your work. I guess it depends on how well your readers understand and that they don't compare it to polished, edited published works. Maybe the 'raw footage' thing can become a plus if readers comment and have input. In other words, you're the author but there's some crowd sourced story editing - or something like that. Just a thought.

Brandon Laraby said...

@psa: Thanks for your help in spreading the word, Lindsay! Very much appreciated!

@Mac: Hi Mac, thanks for popping by and writing in! Yeah, I know I've gotten a few raised eyebrows about the concept of publishing first-draft work but I think it's actually sort of a useful tool as well -- it allows me to keep the reader involved in my story for free while still offering a 'premium' content to my paying users.

All users (paid or otherwise) are invited to come back and discuss with me, publicly, here on my blog, what parts of the story they're enjoying or would like to see more of.

Right now it appears that my readers aren't taking advantage of (or don't necessarily want) this level of interaction but I figure that I'd much rather keep the door open for that to happen than not.

Cheers!
Brandon