Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

404, Daily: Chapter Eighteen

Hey all,

Still feeling a bit of that whole 'lack of focus' thing -- though a bit better thanks to a helpful work-friend of mine who mentioned that it could be 'cause I'm dehydrated.

I'm not really one of those people that follows that whole '8 cups a day' rule but today I'm on cup number 5 and, other than a few extra trips to the W/C, I'm doing alright.

I think a good portion of it has been trying to make sure I keep everything moving along and on track, that I'm hitting all the beats I've set out for myself. Today, well, today was a hell of a lot more fun to write than yesterday's bit... so I'm sure that helped too.

Anyways, here's the daily for Chapter 18 -- and yes, if you'd prefer, just keep sending your comments to my email addy. I know a few of you weren't sure about it, but that's fine. I like email too.

And thanks for your feedback!

Cheers!
Brandon

________________

*Please Note: What follows below is only the FIRST page of Chapter 18 and is considered to be 'Raw Footage' -- unedited, first-draft material that may be subject to change (even in its entirety). This is designed to keep you in the loop with my story as well as, hopefully, intrigue you enough to want to buy the full, finished episode at the end of the week. Warning: there will be mild spoilers and coarse language as well, so please keep that in mind as you read on.

Episode #4 (which collects the finished and polished versions of chapters 16-20) will be available on Sunday, September 5th for 99 cents CAD.

You are encouraged to offer feedback and/or interact with me as this process unfolds. I'd love to hear what you like, what you don't like and what you'd love to see more of.
________________
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

"Heya! Welcome ta Tech City! Wanna watch a three-way?" The chubby, greasy-haired man emerges from the bustling crowd and puts his hand on Marco's shoulder, trying to lead him toward a dusty, homemade video wall of stacked-up CRT monitors. "We got Terabytes o'tha very best, stuff like you ain't never seen since they threw the Switch."

"No thanks." Marco pulls away, ducking under a low hanging-tarp.

"You're just sayin' that 'cause ya haven't seen our selection! We got big dicks in small ladies, big ladies on small dicks -- Big ladies with big dicks, whatever you want! Black on Latino, Asian on --"

"Seriously, go away." Marco glowers at the man as he shoulders his duffle bag. The man gives him the finger and disappears back into the crowd.

Marco works his way through the criss-cross of ropes and wires in the walkway as a small group of kids rush past him, yelling and hitting a fat little boy with broomsticks.

"Ow! Where's my Tank? Dammit! Will someone pull this fucking aggro!" The kid covers his head with his hands as the blows rain down, "Paragal, this isn't fair! I casted my invisibility shield! You can't see me!"

Marco walks closer, watching as every other adult in the area seems oblivious to the beating going on before them.

A little red-headed girl in muddy Hello Kitty overalls pushes the boy to the ground. "You shoulda watched your cool-down timer, Scott! You can't double-cast it like that."

"My name's FlameDagger!" He yells out, cowering under another volley of blows. "Aww c'mon! Stop!"

Scowling, Marco steps up to the kids, putting on his most dangerous growl of a voice -- one he hasn't called upon for a long time. "I am VoidCrawler, level 80 Grand Druid of the Wightblade Clan -- release him… or suffer!"

The red-headed girl looks to Marco, unafraid. "Ew. What happened to your face?!" Marco's fa├žade cracks for a moment, caught off guard. She smiles a wide, wicked grin, "These aren't your lands, ugly-Druid. Go away and leave us to our kill."

Scott gets to his feet, straightening his glasses, "You always do this Mandy! I said no PvP!!" He looks to Marco," I just wanted a Pyro-Crown to complete my set."

Marco nods and motions for him to leave, "Come, young FlameDagger, let's be off."

Mandy stomps her foot. "I didn't say you could go! I cast Vengeful Spike on you!" She pulls out a rusty nail and throws it at Scott. Marco steps in front of it, watching as it bounces off his jeans. Eyes narrowed, he steps forward, hand raised.

"Fine, then I cast 'Get-The-Fuck-Out-Of-Here-Before-I-Break-Your-Face-You-Little-Brat!"

Mandy screeches and runs away, the rest of the group following behind her as Scott watches them from behind Marco's legs.

No comments: