Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Thursday, September 02, 2010

404, Daily: Chapter Nineteen

Hey folks!

We're coming on up to the halfway point of the story and MAN I'm really starting to feel the energy! I've been building up towards a cool halfway-point reveal and now that I'm finally getting there, I just can't wait to get it down on paper.

Well, ePaper.

Come next week I'm going to have an extra something special for my faithful readers (and lurkers), so please be sure to come back on Monday -- a day with no Labour, supposedly -- for a 1-day-only cool-thing extravaganza.

(So exciting!)

Anyways, here's the Daily for Chapter Nineteen!

Cheers,
Brandon
________________

*Please Note: What follows below is only the FIRST page of Chapter 19 and is considered to be 'Raw Footage' -- unedited, first-draft material that may be subject to change (even in its entirety). This is designed to keep you in the loop with my story as well as, hopefully, intrigue you enough to want to buy the full, finished episode at the end of the week. Warning: there will be mild spoilers and coarse language as well, so please keep that in mind as you read on.

Episode #4 (which collects the finished and polished versions of chapters 16-20) will be available on Sunday, September 5th for 99 cents CAD.

You are encouraged to offer feedback and/or interact with me as this process unfolds. I'd love to hear what you like, what you don't like and what you'd love to see more of.
________________

CHAPTER NINETEEN

Dr. Higgs pushes the needle into Marco's cheek, suturing up the swollen laceration, "Listen, son, I don't need any trouble… I'll patch you up, good as new. But these people… they're messed up enough as it is. I don't need you going and making it worse by bringing the heat down on 'em."

"I swear to you, I had nothing to do with it -- in fact, that's why I need your help. There's this man, Alex Wong, if I can find him, he can prove my innocence. Hell, I've even managed to get his number, but the network's always -- ow!"

He feels a tug and his cheek pull as the last suture is secured. The doctor looks at him and rolls his eyes.

"I mean, c'mon, do I look like a professional assassin to you?" Marco deadpans.

After a moment of consideration the doc sighs, "If you go across the way, toward the East end, there's a bunch of kids that call themselves the 'SF Kludge Crew'… or something. They're… weird… but if I remember correctly a bunch of 'em used to work over in the valley. You might find someone there who can help."

And with that he steps back from Marco, admiring his work with a proud grunt. "You're gonna have a scar, not much I can do about that, but I've made sure that at least it'll look good."

"Look good?" Marco pulls a mirror off he desk and stares at his face, impressed by how much the swelling's gone down.

The doctor shrugs. "Ain't much use for a plastic surgeon these days, but it's nice to practice when I can." He hands Marco a small tube. "Put this on the swelling a few times a day for the next few days. You'll heal up just fine."

Marco takes the tube and hops off the table, still looking at his face. He opens his duffel bag, "I don't have much to pay you wi-- oh, wait!"

He pulls a few 100 Euro notes out of the stack and hands them to the doctor, who recoils. "What the hell are you doing with those? Didn't I just tell you about not bringing the heat down on us?" He pushes them back into Marco's hands, "Last thing I need is to get my ass hauled in for carrying illegal currency."

"Illegal currency?"

"You haven't been watching the news have ya? Words gone out from on high: Euros are criminal money, anyone caught with it…" he trails off, letting his silence speak for itself.

No comments: