Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

404, Daily: Chapter Thirty-Two

Ugh. Rain.

Looks like we're going to have rain all week too.

Not that I can really complain -- certainly not when you look at some of the flooding and such going on around the world (Red Cross: Donate for Pakistan relief) and our streets could definitely use a good washing... yet I always find my focus fading on rainy days. As if my attention span begins and ends with each and every tiny rain drop.

Luckily, today's been an exception to the rule. I'm not exactly sure why; maybe it's something as simple as me having a daily goal, making sure I'm getting my chapter done no matter what. I dunno. But today I've been a focused like a laser beam.

And I think this chapter turned out pretty darn good in the end.

Anyways, here's the Daily for Chapter 32, hope you enjoy.

Cheers!
Brandon
________________

*Please Note: What follows below is only the FIRST page of Chapter 32 and is considered to be 'Raw Footage' -- unedited, first-draft material that may be subject to change (even in its entirety). This is designed to keep you in the loop with my story as well as, hopefully, intrigue you enough to want to buy the full, finished episode at the end of the week.

Warning: there will be SPOILERS and coarse language as well, so please keep that in mind before you read on.

Episode #7 (which collects the finished and polished versions of chapters 31-35) will be available on Sunday, October 3rd for 99 cents CAD.

You are encouraged to offer feedback and/or interact with me as this process unfolds. I'd love to hear what you like, what you don't like and what you'd love to see more of.
________________

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

"So. You made it," Alex grimaces, looking up at them through dull eyes, his body slumped against the wall of the alleyway. "Heh, for a while there I thought I was the only one." His leg is drenched in a thick coat of blood as it drips down from the ragged mess of his right arm. He shifts and groans, the makeshift sling unable to contain the entirety of his twisted, jagged limb.

"That looks pretty bad," Marco says with a sincerity that causes Alex to laugh then wince.

"Yes, I've gone and done it now." Alex's voice trembles as he looks down at the fleshy remnants of his knuckles.

Marco looks to Jess, she meets his gaze and nods -- an unspoken message passed between them. He hands her the gun and steps forward. "Alex, you're going into shock. You've got a compound fracture there and severe blood loss -- we need to get you to a hospit--"

"Can't. Doesn't matter." Alex slurs, his head shaking from side to side. "No one left. We took care of that. One of the first things."

"What do you mean?" Jess asks, her voice strained but calm. She tenses, hand clenched around the grip, resisting the urge to use force.

Alex looks up at her, his glazed eyes clearing. He regards them for a moment before taking stock of his surroundings. "Where am I?"

"Washington. There was a crash. You're not doing so well," Marco says, kneeling beside Alex's arm. "We need to get you out of here. Can you stand?"

Alex shakes his head. "I remember the wing exploding. Something crashed into me." He looks down at his destroyed arm as if seeing a stranger. "I put my arm up to stop it…"

"Alex, what happened here? Where did everyone go?" Marco asks, unsure that he wants to hear the answer.

"Relocated," Alex says, his voice distant, head starting to dip.

No comments: