Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

History Time

So I'm feeling a bit inspired today.

I'd popped over to Denis McGrath's blog recently and happened upon a fantastic trove of links to writing advice that he'd created over the years.

One link especially caught my attention, a great link about Story Literacy, and how we newer writers really don't have much of it. As he posits, our cultural memory is shrinking.

As I read through the post, I realized that I was actually just as guilty here -- there were numerous writers and actors that I'd simply never heard of.

So I'm taking it upon myself to do a touch of self-educating - acquaint myself with a bit of history, if you will.

Since I can count the number of radio plays I've listened to on one hand (and the entirety of my knowledge of Orson Welles was limited to 'Rosebud' and 'War of the Worlds') I decided to start with some of the old 'The Shadow' radio plays from the 30's.

I've been listening to them all morning and I have to say, it's quite an interesting experience, if you've never listened to them, I highly recommend it.

I'm posting one of my favourites (so far) here, close your eyes and take a listen. You'll notice a few interesting tropes here in this story, one of the most notable being the classic 'typewriter with the raised letter'. I'm not sure where exactly this trope first popped up, but it's certainly the earliest (time-wise) story I've seen it pop up in.

Anyone know who used it first or where it originated?








Do you have any favourite episodes? What are some other great radio plays to check out?

Also: Here's the original broadcast of H.G. Wells' "War Of The Worlds" as read by Orson Wells.

Enjoy!



Cheers!
Brandon

P.S: thanks to those who emailed me about yesterday's post. Your positive thoughts and goodwill is greatly appreciated.

No comments: