Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Oooh! So Close...


So, you may or may not have heard that a mother-to-be recently turned to Facebook to name her child for her. It's true and, oddly enough, I ended up being pretty active in the contest, submitting the name 'Aria'... and almost winning the whole thing.

Now you may balk at the idea, but it actually turned into a bit of a world-wide phenomenon with the story being picked up by news outlets and blogs all around the world. Heck, someone even wrote a song about it.


That said, you also may have heard some people lose their collective minds and say 'why the hell would anyone DO that?'

Well, for her troubles, the mother's walking away with approximately $40,000 worth of swag from the site -- not exactly a small thing when you're a new, first-time parent.

If you were paying attention, you might've also noticed that for a good run there, the name I submitted was in the lead. Sometimes by a lot.

Alas, it was not to last. Try as we might to fight them off, last night the winning name 'Melania' was chosen over my entry by 9 votes. (Yeah, I know, talk about close!).

The final total?

Melania 2860
Aria 2851

The winner of the contest ended up with the equivalent of about $650 or so in site credit, to be used in their daily deals, gift cards and such.

As a runner up, normally, I wouldn't get much, if anything. However, I've received an email from the CEO of FabFind (the company running the contest) telling me that since the contest was so close, they've decided to award me the same prize.

Needless to say, since we're due mid-February, we're quite happy with this lil' development (I'm sure my wife will get a nice bit of pampering out of it).

It's definitely a nice little pre-Christmas development, if I do say so myself.

Incidentally, I came up with the name 'Aria' because that's the name we would have liked if we were having a girl... however, since we're not, we figured we'd submit it and see how it did. I guess, all-in-all, it worked out pretty well.

Congratulations to little Melania and the Alpinelli family, welcome to the world, kiddo!

Cheers!
Brandon

No comments: