Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Friday, March 18, 2011

United


A powerful message that still maintains its sense of urgency in this day and age.

This is the power of fantastic writing... of true Art.

I watch this video and I wonder what it was like, what the sentiment was when Mr. Chaplin's film 'The Great Dictator' first premiered. When this 'Comedy' film took a sudden and unflinching turn toward the serious.

Did it make their breath catch in their throat? Their fingers curl against their armrests?

I don't know.

But I know that it had that effect on me.

And yet, for all of the logical and rational reasoning that I possess, for all of my enlightened understanding of what is 'wrong' with the world around me... I can't help but find it a touch sad that it takes something like this to inspire me to want to do something.

Somehow the sheer weight of facts -- the hard data -- isn't enough; Somehow watching the news feeds every day, watching entire revolutions play out on Youtube and on Twitter... somehow that isn't enough.

After all these years of education and 'self-awareness', of watching the world around me burn... somehow I still need that emotional speech, the poetic call to arms.

Someone to say that yes, you're right, there really is a monster under the bed... and that we can get rid of it any time we want.

Someone to say that it's okay.

And that's when I am humbled.

No comments: