Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hot Damn, That Went Well!

Hey folks!

Sorry about the non-Friday update... between work and life and digesting my notes from the Lift Out Loud session I haven't had a whole lot of time to sit down and actually do some writing.

First off, I want to thank Lift Out Loud for selecting my script to be read -- the fact that my little darlin' made it to the top of the heap is a nice source of pride, for sure.

I also want to thank Mr. Chris Sheasgreen, this guy not only moderates like a pro, but he's been a positive and supportive force throughout this whole process. Thank you so much, Chris! I really appreciate it.

Finally, I want to thank all the great actors who came out and read their parts with such gusto. It's one thing to hear those voices reverberating around in my skull, it's a whole other thing to hear them voiced out loud.

A special shout out to Jackie English, who managed to find these great actors and Nicole Stamp who narrated like a pro. Both of these ladies were were kind enough to stick around, long after others had left, to continue the discussion of the show and offer their own (fantastic) sets of notes. Thank you very much!

So, how'd it go? The reading itself practically flew by -- honestly, I was so into it that I actually forgot to take notes most of the time. What was truly interesting, however, was how well that ended up working out. You see, the best notes -- the real, game-changing, hard-hitting-in-a-good-way notes came after the reading.

And holy hot damn were there some great notes.

What followed the reading can only be described as '4 hours of passionate discussion and deconstruction' of my script. What worked, what didn't, what could be tightened for effect, what could be tossed altogether.

To think that my little script inspired so much interest and positive thoughts... I'm beyond delighted.

Hands down, across the board, everyone loved my world and my characters -- some of their actions needed to be better justified, some stories better explained, the vision tightened -- but the consensus was that this thing has got some serious potential.

I'm not only on the right path, I'm mere steps away from the escalator.

I stumbled home from the reading around 12:30am and I've been lost in thought since. Trying to figure out which notes to take, how to best hone and clarify my vision for this show. I can't say that I'm there yet, Mr. Sheasgreen recommended that I take a week just to let it all settle, to digest -- and I understand what he means now. It's like the silt has been dredged up in my mind, so many amazing ideas all fighting and flipping around in my mind's eye; hundreds of fragments all flickering and glimmering for attention at once.

I'm trying to keep myself distracted (not too hard, thankfully, due to my son's 3am wakeup calls) until my mind settles, until I can focus in on what's still floating long after everything else has dropped off the map, but the excitement keeps me coming back. I want to write all this stuff down, but I know that that way lies chaos.

I can get... tangential... when left to my own devices. When I have nothing but time and free reign to go where I wish, I tend to get lost in the worlds I create; exploring dirty avenues and motivations of secondary characters or interpersonal relationships that may not even exist yet. It's a fantastic ability when I need it, but can be a pain in the ass when I need to sit down and focus.

What can I say? I'm a dreamer.

I'm incredibly psyched for what comes next though -- if my script, in its current form, brought out all these amazing thoughts and feelings from strangers, I can't wait to see what my next draft will do once I incorporate the best of these notes.

Anyways, for now, I'm letting it all retreat to the back of my mind, letting things fall where they may. But soon... yes, soon...

This is going to be awesome.

Cheers,
Brandon

No comments: