Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

This Weekend's Toronto Screenwriting Conference

So, I got on the Early Bird train this year for the Toronto Screenwriting Conference and I have to say I'm impressed with how it's shaped up.

I attended the inaugural conference last year and, while I'd had a few suggestions after it was all said and done, I genuinely had a great time and I looked forward to this year's announcement.

And so I've been making sure to keep myself in the loop here -- been following the development of this year's show since the first press releases went out; watching to see who'd end up making that chilly weekend trip to Toronto.

Truth be told, it's a pretty packed list.

Yesterday I managed to find a free moment and started looking through the schedule, trying to plan out my coming weekend. I have to say that I'm finding it a bit more of a challenge this time. Last year -- and this is, in no way, a slight on the previous years speakers -- I looked at my schedule and I said, "okay, okay, okay. Done". 5 minutes, tops.

I'm a TV writer, I know what I want and it was simple.

This year, the choices are a bit tougher.

You see, I'm especially intrigued by the presence of Video Game Writer Mr. Kevin Shortt (JAMES CAMERON’S AVATAR: THE GAME, FAR CRY 2, and LOST–THE VIDEO GAME).

As a long-time gamer I've always wondered about this sort of thing, about how one goes about writing some of the most epic moments of my childhood (Final Fantasy 3, 7 and ChronoTrigger... seared into my memory) -- and how one might get paid to do such a thing. But it always seemed like such a far away land.

And now I have the option of checking that out.

Not too shabby.

Also of interest for yours truly is a Sunday AM Q&A session with Mr. Leonard Dick. Mr. Dick is currently a Co-Executive Producer and Writer on what I would easily call the best Drama on Network TV: The Good Wife.

I've been a fan of this show since it first debuted and have, on more than one occasion, followed the end of an episode with a long, slow clap. Brilliant characters, fantastic stories and pacing unlike anything else on TV. I don't know how they manage to pull this show together in the way that they do...

But now I've got my chance to ask.

Overall, I have to say that I'm quite happy with the final selection -- especially since Mr. Sheldon Bull, by far one of the best speakers of last years show, is making a return. (Seriously, you should see this man in action. Brilliant.) He had some fantastic insights last year and I can't wait to see what he has in store for us this time around.

The Toronto Screenwriting Conference is this weekend (April 9th and 10th) and, as far as I can see, there's still tickets to spare. If you get a chance, grab one and come on out with me.

Cheers!
Brandon

1 comment:

Eytan (TSC Intern) said...

Thank you for the kind words Brandon. We're excited to see you this weekend and hope you have a wonderful time!