Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Entourage 1x01

The party don't start until they walk in.

What we have here is a 38-page script Written by Doug Ellin with Revisions By Doug Ellin & Steve Tompkins, dated 07/15/03 (download here).  Again, this is a cable show -- no teasers, tags or acts.

This was another show that I was aware of when it was on, I just never really got into.  I can see why it was so hot though -- this show is the TV embodiment of pretty much every straight young male's fantasy: Hot chicks, booze, drugs, privilege, respect and no responsibility.

Better yet, it's written in such a way that -- well, I ended up enjoying this script in spite of myself.  I knew I was being set up, I watched it happen and yet I still found myself sucked into the... adventure...(?) of Vince, Eric, Drama and Turtle.

The characterization here is so spot on -- from the absolutely brilliant descriptions off the top, to Turtle bitching about "Cheap piece of shit G4"s at the end of the episode. 

 
What works best about this episode is that it makes sense why these people are friends -- each of them have their own defined role and, more importantly, it really does feel like they've known each other since childhood.  There's a real chemistry here, the words on the page building into something tangible for the the reader.

As I read the script I felt like a fly on the wall, like I was watching real buddies being goofballs as they walked off with hot chicks and -- yeah... it's a 'living vicariously through the characters' thing... I get that now.

My hat's off to the writers, quite simply I've never read a script like this before -- that managed, so effortlessly, to make me feel included with their characters.

Complaint-wise, I don't really have much to say... the dialogue is tight, it moves fast and the characters all feel like living, breathing beings.  Most of them seem like dicks... but, yeah, that's part of their charm.  I think my only problem with this script is that it's so focused on the young male demographic that none of the female characters are anything more than cardboard cutouts.  The only character with any real substance is SARAH, Vince's Publicist and the only memorable scene she has is where she helps Eric use his celebrity-lite status (as one of Vince's entourage) to get a seat at a fancy restaurant.  It's a nice touch, but the scene is barely a page at most.

It's a smart move, it makes us like her (she's helping one of the good guys) but I kind of wish I'd seen more of her.

All-in-all, this is a really fun script and it's easy to get lost in.  If you're looking to try and learn anything from this script, focus on the characters and how they interact.  Every little move brings them closer together.  Piece together how the writers have done it... it's quite brilliant, actually.

Tomorrow I'll be tackling the penultimate script on this little journey: Mike & Molly 1x01 - Pilot.  I've watched this show since the pilot... I'm not entirely sure why... but it still occupies space on my PVR.  I don't dislike it but I don't love it.  Maybe the script will help to shed some light on that?

Until tomorrow!
Cheers,
Brandon

4 comments:

Abraham Adeyemi said...

Hi, I was wondering if you had a pdf version of this script? As this link isn't directing me to the script, sadly...

Abraham Adeyemi said...

Hi, I was wondering if you had a pdf version of this script? As this link isn't directing me to the script, sadly...

Lee Thomson said...

Abraham - email me at blog@leethomson.com. I had to remove all HBO scripts from the site.

- cr; said...

Hey Lee!

I just sent you an email is hopes that I too could receive a copy of this script

Thanks