Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Episodes - Episode One

Episodes is a half-hour comedy about a husband/wife comedy duo trying to port their Award-winning British TV series over to the US... and hilarity ensues.

What we have here is a 30 page 'Audition Draft', dated December 28th, 2009 and written by David Crane & Jeffery Klarik (download here). As it's a series that's written for cable TV, there are no teasers, tags or acts, pretty straightforward stuff.

I've been told that this show is a lot of 'inside baseball', that if you're someone 'in the know', this show'll just knock your socks clean off.  You'll be rolling in the aisles.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I am not 'in the know'.

It was still funny, I could understand who all of the characters were and what they were about.  I just didn't have that whole 'Oh my God!  They didn't!  They... didn't!' sort of moment that I'm sure a bunch of others did.

The interesting thing is this:  it didn't feel very new.  I mean, a great deal of the show revolves around slight variations of all those same Hollywood stereotypes/cliches that we've seen in the movies for years -- but instead of the 'slimy, two-faced agent' we get 'slimy, two-faced Network Exec... and friends'.

Now maybe that in itself is a statement on the unchanging nature of the LA scene... or maybe these were real, from the trenches stories edited just enough to avoid that lawyer-ly phone call -- I don't know.  But it didn't really feel all that new to me.  (That said, and sadly enough, I have a sense that it didn't feel all that new to the people who wrote it -- situationally, I mean).

Anyways, I don't know.  Going to Hollywood, discovering that the houses, along with the people, are fake... that there's a lot of backstabbing and such... it all just sort of felt... 'meh'.

Perhaps that's where the whole missing link of 'you had to be there' kicks in.  If you know people like this, or deal with people like this on a daily basis -- people who can hang your nuts/ovaries out to dry on a whim -- maybe it's a hoot to see them lampooned in such a way.

Or, hell, maybe I'm talking out of my ass... what do I know?

Either way, this script didn't really make me laugh (see what I did there?) -- there was one scene on page 16/17, where the duo is in their new McMansion and they decide to have a quickie in their new, massive tub... but it takes so long to fill that their 'moment' dies a horrible, awkward death... that made me chuckle.

That felt like a real moment.

But the rest of it... I dunno.  I guess it's just not my bag.

Maybe this thing is like... brussel sprouts.  Once I'm older and wiser, having waded through a few trenches of shit myself, I'll catch a rerun of this ep and I'll bust a gut.

Until then... I'll just keep on mixin' my metaphors.

Tomorrow I'll be tackling The Walking Dead 1x01.  I'm a HUGE fan of the comics and I devoured the series, so I'm really looking forward to checking this one out.

Cheers,
Brandon

2 comments:

Lee said...

I've just added Walking Dead 1x05 to the site - this is the episode that really departs from the comics by introducing the CDC location. The script is also quite a bit different to what eventually aired, with far more CDC scenes throughout and a very different portrayal of Jenner. I liked it.

http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Walking_Dead/The_Walking_Dead_1x05_-_Wildfire.pdf

Oh, and the pilot has moved - it's now at http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Walking_Dead/The_Walking_Dead_1x01_-_Pilot.pdf

I'm enjoying the reviews, and looking at the prep, I can see some cracking scripts coming up.

Lee

Brandon Laraby said...

Hey Lee,

Thanks for dropping by (and thanks for creating such a useful hub of scripts!).

I'll definitely check out that new episode when I get a chance.

One of the interesting things to me is just how different some of these scripts are compared to what actually ends up on TV. I'm sure some of that is based on the various states of some of these drafts, but even in some of the Finals that I've read, when compared to the TV show, there's usually still quite a few noticeable differences.

So far this whole thing's been one heck of an eye opener... and I'm not even halfway done yet!

Cheers,
Brandon