Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Workout: Day Two

So.. guess what?  I've managed to go and give myself a nice dime-sized blister on the inside of my Left foot.  Brilliant.

Better yet?  During my epic first attack there, I managed to pop it.

Oh yes.  Fun.

So I woke up this morning to the sound of my shoulders cracking, well, not cracking... grinding?  There was pain.  A lot of pain.  Like that throbbing 'why the hell did you do that?' sort of pain.  I soon came to realize that it was not, in fact, localized to my shoulder area but had, somehow, managed to spread throughout my back, lower spine, torso, upper calves and feet.

In short, I quite overdid it yesterday.

But today's a new day, and this pain, so far isn't much that a few (legal) pills can't fix.

And so off to the gym I go shamble.

For the nice blister on my foot, I swipe a bit of my son's petroleum jelly and slather that on thick before putting a sock over it.  I'm not sure if it's going to do much to help in the long term, but it immediately feels better.  +1 for lubrication.

Before me lies the treadmill, the same beaster that I tangled with the day before.  It looms over me... okay, not exactly.  But it was still pretty ominous.

Of course, because I've still not learned my lesson, I set off using the exact same settings as the day before -- and I immediately regret it.

That petroleum jelly 'patch' that I'd created lasted all of about 5 mins.  Any 'healing' that had gone on overnight evaporated into the winds by 10 mins in.  At 15 mins my body felt like it had felt yesterday at the 50 minute mark.

And from there things just went downhill.  Fast.

There really isn't much of a timeline from here on out because it was all I could to do stay on the bloody treadmill, trying to keep my focus on putting one foot in front of the other.  I know that at one point I actually considered saying 'fuck it' and shutting the whole thing down.

Standing there alone, half-limping, half-walk/jogging my way on an inclined treadmill.

I'm sad to say that I didn't make it the whole 60 minutes... by minute 50 I had to call it a day, I just didn't have it in me to push any farther -- the grinding/slipping/burning in my foot mixed with a myriad of other new and old pains (apparently said pills were not strong enough for the task at hand) finally wore me down.

And then, to make things worse, the stupid thing didn't even save my session to disk.  Not that I would've been too proud to add it to the mix, but apparently there's some sort of internal timer and if you don't have that USB key right ready, well they just go and reset the damned thing on you.

Urgh.

All in all I managed to burn about 850 calories.  And fuck up my foot in a rather nice way.

Okay, yes, yes, I know... sometimes taking a running start at things is a bad thing.  But hey... now I know what not to do... and knowing is half the battle... right?

Life lesson #621: wear non-chafing work-out socks...?

Until tomorrow.

Cheers,
Brandon

No comments: