Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Monday, October 10, 2011

Woot! A Small Measure Of Success!

Okay, so, good news! I finally finished breaking down Doctor Who 6x12 - Closing Time.

I haven't had time to properly analyze this thing yet, but it's there, it exists.

And now that it's all done, I have to say that I'm feeling really 'meh' about the whole episode.

My preliminary findings here seem to show that this episode is a really odd duck. It's quite weirdly paced and seems to chew up a lot of time but doesn't actually do a whole lot.

Even though it's a very short episode (the total running time is 44:10 but the actual main episode ends at about 41 mins) the story itself still seems incredibly drawn out and thin.

There are some fantastic scenes with Craig and The Doctor, but ... yeah... the whole of it all is just so very forgettable. Worse: the Cybermen plot ends up feeling so tacked on -- even though it's properly set up off the top -- that the episode almost feels like the remnants of two different episodes mashed together.

Add in that weird sort of... tag... at the end that brings River and Madame Kovarian into the mix -- basically setting River up for the final episode -- and, yeah, I almost feel like it was a waste of time to break this one down. It doesn't feel like a regular episode this season.

Anyway, what's done is done. I'll be taking a closer look at it all on Wednesday, maybe there's something useful here that I'm just not seeing.

But yeah, feeling kind of disappointed right now.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Brandon

No comments: