Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Friday, February 24, 2012

Bring On The Weekend!

Still knee-deep in re-writing, tying up loose ends, catching new ones as they're made.

Which is definitely one of the bigger things to keep an eye out for while in second-draft mode.

It's really easy, while in the thick of things, to snip things that don't necessarily need to be snipped and 'fix' things that don't need to be fixed.

I caught myself doing this just yesterday - there I was in the middle of re-writing a whole scene and I stopped myself and asked 'why am I re-writing this scene?  There wasn't anything wrong with it in the first place.'

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's nice to be riding that ol' wave of inspiration while it's there, but sometimes that wonderful wave can dash me off the rocks if I'm not careful -- and create a whole new mess of work for myself.

There are few better feelings than to figure out a stronger way to write a scene; something that says what I wanted to say but faster or smoother or cleaner.

But sometimes, in the joy of the moment, it's easy to forget the context of how that original piece fit into the next one.  If I keep trucking along and don't catch it, I've just left one hell of a hanging thread (that I might not even catch until much later).

So yes, as much as I love the rewriting process, it's also balanced with the idea that I'm really trying to not make any more unnecessary for myself.  Rewriting new scenes and such is cool and can be fun, but if I really feel the need to experiment like that, I'll try to save my draft and work on another version.

Anyways, things are coming along nicely - if I get a good couple of days in this weekend, I might actually be able to wrap this up.  *fingers crossed*

Have a great weekend!
Cheers,
Brandon

No comments: