Updated Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Monday, February 13, 2012

Purge Complete!

What was that?  Oh... oh... oh!

Yes folks, the purge is done.  It was one of the longest first draft processes I've had in a while, but this weekend of bitter coldness ended up being an incredible boon for getting the writing out of me.

It's not perfect and I already know about 3 or 4 things that I want to change here... but the first, hardest part, is done.

Now comes the re-writing, the re-writing, the mild-to-moderate self-loathing and the re-writing.

I think the biggest obstacle this time around was mostly just finding a solid stretch of time where I could sit down and get into a groove.  Once I'm in the zone, the stuff just flows out of me... I can knock the pages out like I'm a Little Mac wannabe.  But therein lies the rub otherwise: finding those times where I'm not already doing a couple other things at once.

Despite my best efforts, this draft ended up about 10 pages light (I'm sitting at 50 right now, aiming for 60), though I think that's a pretty easy fix once I go back and do a dialogue pass.  A lot of the dialogue right now is pretty slim, just enough to get across the point I wanted to make in the scene; Enough for me to be able to go back and add banter and fun bits.  There are a few small moments that I could feel starting to blossom as I wrote it so I made a few notes and, hopefully, I'll be able to tease them out a bit more in the next pass or so.

Other than that, right now I'm just chilling out a tad, letting the script settle a bit, letting my mind clear of it so that when I start the next pass I'll have some semi-fresh eyes.

But, yes, for now: breathe. (and mouthwash.  Lots and lots of mouthwash).

Next Phase: The Re-Writing Process - Taking it to draft #2.

Cheers!
Brandon

No comments: